Extrude honing intake

I know a member here sent his intake to this company:

Form and Function Performance, LLC
261 Richmond St
St. Paul, MN 55102
612-385-0419

No idea on pricing:dontknow:

Yellow venom said:
Where did that grey intake get done at that was just posted on here?

That was mine (Trainman) and it was sent to FFPerformance.com, and it was hand ported not Extrude Honed....no pricing yet. See the thread on the ported intake for results on a stock motor.

hand polished an extrude are 2 completely diffrent things...........im willing to bet theres some local performance shops around you that would have a good idea where to take it.....the performance shop down the street port matched my motor for like 40 bucks lol sometimes the locals are alot cheaper than the main stream folks

Tooloe said:
hand polished an extrude are 2 completely diffrent things...........im willing to bet theres some local performance shops around you that would have a good idea where to take it.....the performance shop down the street port matched my motor for like 40 bucks lol sometimes the locals are alot cheaper than the main stream folks

I agree, and hand porting does have better shape control than the EH process... I explained it in better detail here: http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showpost.php?p=595797&postcount=45

Keep in mind that there is a difference between cheap and value too... ;)

Tooloe said:

Port matching/polishing and extrude honing are totally different. Extrude honing opens up and smooths out the entire manifold and theoretically improving the overall flow capability of the manifold. Port matching/polishing only affects the head side opening of the runners it does nothing for the flow capability of the manifold it just makes sure there's no blockage/turbulance where the two surfaces meet.

Texas Yellow Fever said:
Port matching/polishing and extrude honing are totally different. Extrude honing opens up and smooths out the entire manifold and theoretically improving the overall flow capability of the manifold. Port matching/polishing only affects the head side opening of the runners it does nothing for the flow capability of the manifold it just makes sure there's no blockage/turbulance where the two surfaces meet.

So if you got your intake E\H'ed then ported and polished ,that would be the best for best overall flow and performance of the intake to max out its potential?

Yellow venom said:
So if you got your intake E\H'ed then ported and polished ,that would be the best for best overall flow and performance of the intake to max out its potential?

You should not need both, they can port match as part of the E/H process, although it is a chargeable option for them to do it, but I would have one guy do it all if I were doing it.

Again, it is possible to do it better than EH by hand.... For the entire manifold.... not just port matching. After all, hand porting does offer better shape control than EH.

FFPerformance said:
Again, it is possible to do it better than EH by hand.... For the entire manifold.... not just port matching. After all, hand porting does offer better shape control than EH.

So how much are you charging for the Viper manifold polishing:dontknow:

FFPerformance said:

I agree with you on this, but for anyone running mostly stock it just doesn't do much for all the time and effort required.

Bill

Begood said:
I agree with you on this, but for anyone running mostly stock it just doesn't do much for all the time and effort required.

Bill
Exactly and with hand porting being ...well........much more $, and gaining what?....2 hp over extrude honing?

not saying its bad, but hand porting is more for those that can afford it, and for the person that is looking to get the very last ounce of hp and not afraid to pay for it.

on the extrude hone offered there isnt hardly a penny to be made, why? because how many are actually gonna be able to afford it the way economy is today?

Most places actually get close to $1000 to extrude hone an intake, and usually it comes back shipped at half price since its half the wieght:p

Thanks for the replies guys, this engine is going to be far from stock. I am debating whether to extrude hone or buy a Hogan. The only advantage of honing is the $3300 difference in price. Justin figures I should be ok honing my intake for his turbo rather than the Hogan. I can always have it honed and then touch up the ports myself to match the heads.

black pearl said:
So how much are you charging for the Viper manifold polishing:dontknow:

We are still in testing and nothing is solid at this point, but I will say that when they are available DC Performance will be selling them on here. Expect pricing to be in the ~$1000-1200 range without core.

Stinker said:
Exactly and with hand porting being ...well........much more $, and gaining what?....2 hp over extrude honing?

not saying its bad, but hand porting is more for those that can afford it, and for the person that is looking to get the very last ounce of hp and not afraid to pay for it.

We have gone head to head with EH or even CNC porting and always come out on top. The latest victory was one of our SRT-8 intakes that added +10whp on top of a CNC'd version from Indy (ours netted +35whp over an unmodified manifold). This was on a mild build putting out ~600whp after the intake work.

We do our best to ensure that our products and services are nothing less than the best you can get. :rock:

What we are finding though, is that even with all the fancy EH'ing or portwork one can do with the manifold, it's a good design (at least the genIII manifolds as in our test) and unless you are pushing well beyond the stock power levels, there isn't much power to be picked up from the work. Now take a 900whp version with more CFM demands and I would bet you would see a +30-40whp difference instead of the 10 we see on a relatively stock motor. :dontknow:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back