Famoso Results Feb.21 Heavy Flywheel Test

Trainman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well just like I thought...the Heavier flywheel slowed down the Trainman. I got to make 2 runs today, temp was about 60 degrees , starting line was OK. First run: 1.733 60', 7.899 @ 87.42 MPH in the 1/8 th mile, 12.322 @ 111.81 MPH in the 1/4 mile. So that was 3 full tenths and about 1 MPH slower than last month in Sacramento. I don't think the air makes a full 3 tenths difference so I feel the heavy flywheel is the cause. Still that is the best time I have ever run at Famoso....previous best was 12.49 @ 110.55 with a 1.86 60'. (on the old tires). Second run today after a 2 hour wait was: 1.754 60', 7.970 @ 86.80 mph 1/8th mile, and 12.406 @ 111.92 MPH 1/4 mile.Both runs were made with about a 4000 RPM launch and no noticeable tire spin. John from M&H said the tire wrinkled up then unloaded like a spring. Shifting action was smooth with the Mcleod Twin Disc and I made clean power shifts @ 6000 RPM on both runs. I just feel the heavier flywheel won't let the engine rev as fast as it did with the Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel. I guess I'll have to go back to the Fidanza before the May 9th GTG in Sacramento.:(

Here is a breakdown of the 12.024 run versus the 12.322 run showing the time intervals between the segments of each run. You can see that most of the lost time is in the first 330 feet (about 2 tenths ) and then about 1 tenth from 330' till the end ( and only 16 thousaths from 1000' till the 1/4 )

--------- 12.024 Run -------- 12.322 Run------ Difference
60'_______ 1.650 _____________1.733 _________ +.083
...............3.256 .....................3.374................ +.118
330' ______4.906 ____________ 5.107
................2.750......................2.792..................+.042
1/8 ______7.656 _____________7.899
................2.366......................2.405..................+.039
1000' _____10.022 __________ 10.304
.................2.002....................2.018...................+.016
1/4 _______12.024 __________12.322

So I feel the heavy flywheel cost me at least 2 tenths in the 1/4 mile and the air quality is the other tenth.

Last edited:
perk_1405 said:
train how do you like the fadanza on the street?
I had no problem at all on the street, in fact I prefer it over the heavy flywheel, I guess because thats what I was used to. I had the Fidanza for three + years and over 30,000 miles. I bought the truck new in 2004 and switched to the Fianza and Centerforce at about 10,000 miles. I currently have 41,000 miles on the truck.

How in the hell do you get those low times out of a N/A truck? What other engine or performance mods do you have? Those are still fantastic ET's.

Trainman said:
Well just like I thought...the Heavier flywheel slowed down the Trainman. I got to make 2 runs today, temp was about 60 degrees , starting line was OK. First run: 1.733 60', 7.899 @ 87.42 MPH in the 1/8 th mile, 12.322 @ 111.81 MPH in the 1/4 mile. So that was 3 full tenths and about 1 MPH slower than last month in Sacramento. I don't think the air makes a full 3 tenths difference so I feel the heavy flywheel is the cause. Still that is the best time I have ever run at Famoso....previous best was 12.49 @ 110.55 with a 1.86 60'. (on the old tires). Second run today after a 2 hour wait was: 1.754 60', 7.970 @ 86.80 mph 1/8th mile, and 12.406 @ 111.92 MPH 1/4 mile.Both runs were made with about a 4000 RPM launch and no noticeable tire spin. John from M&H said the tire wrinkled up then unloaded like a spring. Shifting action was smooth with the Mcleod Twin Disc and I made clean power shifts @ 6000 RPM on both runs. I just feel the heavier flywheel won't let the engine rev as fast as it did with the Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel. I guess I'll have to go back to the Fidanza before the May 9th GTG in Sacramento.:(
not really too surprized on the flywheel thing...... how do you like the new clutch over the centerforce you had before ?? i see you got a clutch/pressure plate/slave cylinder as a package....... where from & how much ?

good runs jerry !! :rock:

FATJACK said:
How in the hell do you get those low times out of a N/A truck? What other engine or performance mods do you have? Those are still fantastic ET's.
Because it's RED :D . Actually the engine itself is pure stock, the valve covers have never been off. I have long tube headers (the famous MoFo Headers), a true dual equal length catless x-pipe exhaust with 2 Borla Race Mufflers( custom fabricated on the truck ), a ported intake manifold by Form and Function Performance (see the ported intake results in Perf. Mods section), a BBK 67mm throttle body ( also see BBK throttle body results in the Perf. Mods section on this forum), 170 therm, underdrive pulley from DC Performance , and a custom tune by Chris at DC Performance, a Volant Ram Air system with an extra ram inlet behind the grill. I have QA1 shocks from JMB, CalTracs,XMetal Gen IV shifter, a Hurst Line Loc, and the newest version of M&H 390-40-17 Drag Radials, and believe me those new version M&H's are the real key to lower 60' times.Its a 2004 RC but I put 4.56 gears in. And I think my driving ability helps a little.:rock:

moparracing said:
not really too surprized on the flywheel thing...... how do you like the new clutch over the centerforce you had before ?? i see you got a clutch/pressure plate/slave cylinder as a package....... where from & how much ?

good runs jerry !! :rock:

I don't like the twin disc Mcleod as much as the Centerforce, peddle pressure is real stiff , it's a 3 finger pressure plate. I got it from Mcleod through Tognotti's in Sacramento. It included the flywheel, pressure plate and twin discs, for 1650.00 list price, I paid 1435.00 plus tax at Tognotti's.No slave cylinder was included. It's supposed to handle up to 1,100 HP. I may call Mcleod to see if they will sell me an Aluminum flywheel for this set-up, otherwise I may go back to the Fidanza and try the Spec clutch that DC Performance suggested.

Hey FATJACK.. I bumped those posts forward for the ported intake results and BBK throttle body ( in the Performance Mods section). The results chart is on page 4 posts #34 and #35 for the ported intake. The results chart for the BBK is on page 3 post #27. Enjoy just some of my tricks.

nice times! i get my truck back in less than a week and it's going to be game on! lol... an yes i know that i've had my valve covers off lol hahaha... anyway whats up wit this Mcleod slave? info?

FATJACK said:
I think it helps that he knows how to drive these trucks:D Still some good numbers Jerry:rock: :rock:

FATJACK said:

Watch the vid of him shifting on a pass...and you will see why. He can :driver: Not sure where it's at in here.:dontknow:
Kudos Trainman...:rock:

My shifting Video has been removed...so we'll have to shoot a new one...maybe next weekend, weather and SRTBrad permitting.

Still good times though buddy! Mcleod will sell you the alum flywheel. I run a Mcleod twin with the upgraded Miba liners and a alum wheel in my 1000 hp 02 Camaro without issue. Great clutch, and I killed a few along the way. :D

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back