Fan Module

Need for Speed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been having a problem. First thing in the morning, I start up the truck and back down the driveway, then turn the wheel and get an awful squealing from a belt and the power steering is out. By the time I get about 200 feet down ther road, problem is gone and doesn't do it again the rest of the day. I took it to the Dodge Stealer today and they tell me that the "fan module" is about to go out and they want $1600 to replace it! $1300 for the part and $300 labor!:argh:

So, does this sound right? :confused: Is this part something that can be purchased elsewhere (like here) and have someone else put it on? :confused: I am not a mechanic so I would have to get someone else to do the work. I just couldn't believe it when I heard the price! :mad: Any advice???

Need for Speed said:
Been having a problem. First thing in the morning, I start up the truck and back down the driveway, then turn the wheel and get an awful squealing from a belt and the power steering is out. By the time I get about 200 feet down ther road, problem is gone and doesn't do it again the rest of the day. I took it to the Dodge Stealer today and they tell me that the "fan module" is about to go out and they want $1600 to replace it! $1300 for the part and $300 labor!:argh:

So, does this sound right? :confused: Is this part something that can be purchased elsewhere (like here) and have someone else put it on? :confused: I am not a mechanic so I would have to get someone else to do the work. I just couldn't believe it when I heard the price! :mad: Any advice???
Elimiate it , go electric, gain HP:rock:

yeah their quote is pretty much dead on.

what u can do is get one on ebay or x2 for cheaper...

what i would do is just remove that whole setup and get the jmb electric

fan set up. moves good air and is cheaper at around 750.
It said to be a simple install..then just get stinker to get you a hose to bypass

the fan and straight to the steering rack.

However I also want to add that im kind of weary of that diagnosis,,,

We have had multiple trucks lose p/s pumps...not so many lose the fan

module.. Those that did had an engine run a lil hot at times

:(
FerrariTruck said:
yeah their quote is pretty much dead on.

what u can do is get one on ebay or x2 for cheaper...

what i would do is just remove that whole setup and get the jmb electric

fan set up. moves good air and is cheaper at around 750.
It said to be a simple install..then just get stinker to get you a hose to bypass

the fan and straight to the steering rack.

However I also want to add that im kind of weary of that diagnosis,,,

We have had multiple trucks lose p/s pumps...not so many lose the fan

module.. Those that did had an engine run a lil hot at times
Thanks..it only has 12000 miles on it, and engine temp has always been good. I guess I'm gonna have to start saving my pennies.

There is one on ebay from X2 for 650.00

Ebay Item number: 180399024825

It just sounds like the usual belt slip, mine does it when the humidity is high or when it rained and it sat outside. Does your "check gauges" light come on when it does it? Does the voltage guage show way low when its doing it? If so its the belt.
Justin

JMB Justin said:
It just sounds like the usual belt slip, mine does it when the humidity is high or when it rained and it sat outside. Does your "check gauges" light come on when it does it? Does the voltage guage show way low when its doing it? If so its the belt.
Justin
Justin,

Rain and sitting seem to be a culprit, but no lights or gauge issues:dontknow:

I did my belt two weeks ago , if u want we can knock that out first.

Mine will squeal for a few seconds and then stop squealing, my voltage wont come up until about 5 seconds after it starts (this happens about 50% of the time), and the power steering doesnt work either (if the belt squeels the PS wont work on mine). It only does it when I leave work to go home because it sat outside all day in the rain, etc. When I leave in the morning from the garage it never does it.
Jusin

JMB Justin said:
Mine will squeal for a few seconds and then stop squealing, my voltage wont come up until about 5 seconds after it starts (this happens about 50% of the time), and the power steering doesnt work either (if the belt squeels the PS wont work on mine). It only does it when I leave work to go home because it sat outside all day in the rain, etc. When I leave in the morning from the garage it never does it.
Jusin
Man, that is word for word what mine is doing...maybe the guys at Dodge just want some more money from me...:dontknow:

Need for Speed said:
Man, that is word for word what mine is doing...maybe the guys at Dodge just want some more money from me...:dontknow:

I also had the same exact thing as Justin described. Definitely related to to being wet out. I ended having the pump replaced under warranty, tech was saying was starting to go bad.

Same Problem!!!!

If Go Into A Car Wash With The Under Body Spray And I Have My AC On, I Get A High Pitch Noise. Havent Noticed The Gauges Shift. Or If It Is Rainy Or Wet Out, Same Thing, Even Without The AC On. I Changed My Belt 2X!!!! This Is The SECOND OE Belt In 3 Months!!! The First One i Took off Seemed To Be Stretched A LOT Compared To The New One!!! Even My Dodge Dealer Told Me I Bought Two Belts Within 3 Months. SO- Im Going To Change To A Gates Or Goodyear And See What Happens. All My Pulleys And Tensioner Seem Fine. The First Time I Changed The Belt Going Through Car Wahses With AC On Or Wet Conditions It Was Fine, NO Problem!!!!! Start With The Belt, I Dont Recommend OE, But A Good One From Somewhere. Check You Power Steering Fluid. I Think You Will Be Fine!!!!! :evil: Napa Sells Gates Brand, Contitech Is Really Good, Or Goodyear Gator Back.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back