Fifty Years of Math 1957 - 2007

01VIPERGTS/ACR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried. Why do I tell you this?
Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:
1. Teaching Math In 1950s
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit ?
2. Teaching Math In 1960s
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100 His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?
3. Teaching Math In 1970s
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?
4. Teaching Math In 1980s
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.
5. Teaching Math In 1990s
A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsi derate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it's ok.)
6. Teaching Math In 2007
Un hachero vende una carretada de madera para $100. El costo de la producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?

I can't believe a logger would do all that work for a measly $20.

BurntRubber said:
lol...:D Nice one D

Thanks.......

I can promised ya one thing.....

That'd never, EVER happen at IN-N-OUT Burger...............

No horseshit........

D

Django said:
Thanks.......

I can promised ya one thing.....

That'd never, EVER happen at IN-N-OUT Burger...............

No horseshit........

D

Why, do their burger's total to $4 exactly :dontknow:

RoadRunner said:
Why, do their burger's total to $4 exactly :dontknow:

No, but their candidate screening and/or training programs must be the very best...

I've NEVER had less than great service at ANY IN-N-OUT Burger anywhere...

It's like they transported thee most polite teenagers from the 40's-50's and planted them all into their places of business. It's really great.

D

Last edited:
Django said:
No, but their candidate screening and/or training programs must be the very best...

I've NEVER had less than great service at ANY IN-N-OUT Burger anywhere...

It's like they transported thee most polite teenagers from the 40's-50's and transported them all to their place of business. It's really great.

D

For the price, the food is always good and fresh

I'll take a double-double protein style

Suppose I'll have to go there more often, only been a few times.

I tend to either make exact change or let the register figure it out for these fast food chains. With the hardship of getting the order right in the first place, having them do math is pushing the limit.

Wifey is going to be all over this thread!

Bet you get at least 10 hearts from her.

belgiumbarry said:
aren't you suppose to give a fee ? :confused: :dontknow: :p :D :D

I think your talking a "Tip". (15% or more)
That usually reserved for sit down resturants, or car hops.

01VIPERGTS/ACR said:
Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried. Why do I tell you this?
Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:
1. Teaching Math In 1950s
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit ?
2. Teaching Math In 1960s
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100 His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?
3. Teaching Math In 1970s
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?
4. Teaching Math In 1980s
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.
5. Teaching Math In 1990s
A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsi derate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it's ok.)
6. Teaching Math In 2007
Un hachero vende una carretada de madera para $100. El costo de la producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?

Yep , Damned tree huggers, and don't we speak American??? :mad: :mad:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back