First REAL track experience...

jeffgilliam.2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well fella's i think i am hooked...Hooked good...Went down to Memphis Motorsports and WOOOOWWW....That is a real track. I raced all kinds of stuff and probably out of the 14 times a raced, i lost all but 2.LOL. But i say the reasoning for that is young and inexperienced. My best run of the night was 14.4 at 97...Yeah it was pretty bad...I did record a couple and will probably put one up before the night is over with...Please excuse my family talking in the background...!!!!...

jeffgilliam.2005 said:
Well fella's i think i am hooked...Hooked good...Went down to Memphis Motorsports and WOOOOWWW....That is a real track. I raced all kinds of stuff and probably out of the 14 times a raced, i lost all but 2.LOL. But i say the reasoning for that is young and inexperienced. My best run of the night was 14.4 at 97...Yeah it was pretty bad...I did record a couple and will probably put one up before the night is over with...Please excuse my family talking in the background...!!!!...
Not all that bad. I also just did my 1st drags w/the 10 last week min Mich. great track and facility, but was slicker than the street. Stock except volant, which may or may not do anything. My best run (of 11)was 14.43 @ 99 about 80 and cloudy. thought I should of gotten atleast 1 or 2 better any maybe nicked 13's once or twice, but later thought was actually pretty good considering I don't think I ever did a really great hook-up and was also having frequent probs with hard shifting into 2nd and/or 4th which I havn't heard to be a problem, I thought just the the 2-3 shift was the main prob guys were having trouble with.That was my best gear, Only missed it once and was a bit smoother than 2 & 4. Have not tried many high speed/power quick shifts into 4th on the street, but plenty to 2nd and never had a hard shift until a after couple runs on the strip. Just didn't want to go in. Only 5500mi on truck, 1 time at the drags and I guess the clutch/slave problem is already showing up? Caltracs are on order!
Is hard shifting the main symptom/problem of the slave/master/weak clutch issue, Anyone? Thanks,

Last edited:
MYTRAM said:
Not all that bad. I also just did my 1st drags w/the 10 last week min Mich. great track and facility, but was slicker than the street. Stock except volant, which may or may not do anything. My best run (of 11)was 14.43 @ 99 about 80 and cloudy. thought I should of gotten atleast 1 or 2 better any maybe nicked 13's once or twice, but later thought was actually pretty good considering I don't think I ever did a really great hook-up and was also having frequent probs with hard shifting into 2nd and/or 4th which I havn't heard to be a problem, I thought just the the 2-3 shift was the main prob guys were having trouble with.That was my best gear, Only missed it once and was a bit smoother than 2 & 4. Have not tried many high speed/power quick shifts into 4th on the street, but plenty to 2nd and never had a hard shift until a after couple runs on the strip. Just didn't want to go in. Only 5500mi on truck, 1 time at the drags and I guess the clutch/slave problem is already showing up? Caltracs are on order!
Is hard shifting the main symptom/problem of the slave/master/weak clutch issue, Anyone? Thanks,

If you were making quick turn arounds and not waiting an hour between runs the clutch hydraulics were heat soaked and that is why it would not shift.

You can help this by changing the clutch hydraulic fluid to Neo 610, Motul or another high boiling point dot 3 compatible fluid.

FSTJACK said:
If you were making quick turn arounds and not waiting an hour between runs the clutch hydraulics were heat soaked and that is why it would not shift.

You can help this by changing the clutch hydraulic fluid to Neo 610, Motul or another high boiling point dot 3 compatible fluid.
Ran about 3 diff. stints w3-4 runs fairly close together and I know the main prob was due to clutch and/or fluid getting to hot, but didn't think only 1-2 runs would be all it can take w/relatively cool air temps and only 5-6k on the clock, although thinking about it now, the fluid is actually 2 1/2+ yrs. old, even though truck is only half that since I bought new, it was around atleast a year before I got it, prob. doesn't help.
Are these problems in any way also the same thing that is happening due to the lousy stock slave cyl. etc. that seems to be trouble on the trucks or is that a diff. problem/symptons? I've seen alot about that while skimming threads on here the past year, but havn't looked real close as far as the excact symptons that were happening due to mine being such low miles and not having plans for any regular racing or any hard runs in it 'til now. Figured I'd be able to do atleast 3 drag days w/5-10 runs each before I needed to deal w/it. Plan to go atleast 2 more times yet this summer weather permitting, but will be useless as it is now.

Is the hard shifting mainly due to fluid problems or would clutch being to hot from hard starts amd possible slipping be a major factor in it? It acts exactly like non-hydraulic clutch cars I've had do when the clutch is really worn and has very little or no play left, very hard to shift into gears, especially if you get into stop and go traffic and it heats up. No exper. w/hdrau. clutches until now, That's why I wonder how much is fluid and how much is clutch itself? Hasn't noticeably slipped, but I was having a slight chatter on 1st gear normal starts and inching forward the past week since drags, so I'm sure I already got a good start on toasting clutch. Is geting worse fast. went out tonight to mess with a g-tech and made about 6 0-60 runs with atleast 1/2-1 mile and 5-10 min. between and only shifting hard to 2nd and easy to 3rd. after last run it would not go into any gear w/o seriously trying to jam it very hard, which I wasn't going to try, for about 30 seconds (signaling end of playtime) then was okay after that under normal drive shifting, except now(atleast for next few miles home) the clutch chatter is alot worse, inching into garage causes very noticable rattling from tranny gears I think, hope that's minor and not hurting anything.

Would/has tranny fluid had much to do w'hard shifting or other probs on these trucks, is there a better fluid than stock that would make any improvements and be worth changing also?

The stock clutch cant really handle much slipping on hard launch's. Mine burned up after just a few runs. You should plan to upgrade your clutch and slave/master in the near future.

Jeff.........good first time to the track. My first runs were similar. Shift at 5500 and your runs will improve a lot.

patrick

Thanks gentlemen...I had a blast and will probably return this week to see if i can get a couple of tenths lower..

Drop your rear tire pressure to 22 to 24 lbs, make sure fronts are at full load, launch without slipping clutch, shift at 5500 nice and smooth and you'll drop a half second IMO.

patrick

mauiSRT/10 said:
The stock clutch cant really handle much slipping on hard launch's. Mine burned up after just a few runs. You should plan to upgrade your clutch and slave/master in the near future.

Jeff.........good first time to the track. My first runs were similar. Shift at 5500 and your runs will improve a lot.

patrick
Already been looking at the clutch upgrade, just thought I wouildn't have to worry about doing it so soon, should be able to get more than a few runs before it turns to junk.
Put a raptor on and was shifting at 5500, but doesn't really matter where you shift if it's shifting hard, which makes shifting slow. I figure even on my good runs, it took atleast 2-3 xtra seconds, maybe more to get the gears, which has to be atleast a .5 on the ET. Smoother shifts and better hook up mid 13's easy, piece of cake, right?:burnout:

jeffgilliam.2005 said:
Thanks gentlemen...I had a blast and will probably return this week to see if i can get a couple of tenths lower..
Nice first tries - keep practicing :D I didn't see the clips, did you not post them? :dontknow:

I had a blast at Memphis Motor Speedway over the weekend. I ran the 1/4 about 10 times and my best time was my first. 14.1 @ 99.85mph. That was also my first time ever on a 1/4 mile track in my life! I am hooked now! I also ran the autoX and ran right there with the SRT4's. I was only about a second behind my brother's SRT4, which is modded and set up for autoX. My truck is my daily driver and I haven't touched anything on it...not even the tire pressure. I think I may have pissed him off!! :rock:

Cannibal94 said:
I had a blast at Memphis Motor Speedway over the weekend. I ran the 1/4 about 10 times and my best time was my first. 14.1 @ 99.85mph. That was also my first time ever on a 1/4 mile track in my life! I am hooked now! I also ran the autoX and ran right there with the SRT4's. I was only about a second behind my brother's SRT4, which is modded and set up for autoX. My truck is my daily driver and I haven't touched anything on it...not even the tire pressure. I think I may have pissed him off!! :rock:
If he's pissed,...brew him another another pot o' "coffee?".:beer: Then he really will be "pissed":cheers: , wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Congrats on spankin' me in the 2nd round of the autoX,:congrats: :thefinger::congrats: Next year you've got to bring the trucks out on the road coarse.

All things considered, I think the trucks where well represented in all 3 arenas, Justin had the 1/4, You guys had the autoX, and the road course was a blast for me. I hope you two join me next year, (that would be a a sight, 3 trucks pushing the roadsters through the turns).:rock:

P.S. Practice some drifting and find your braking point so you don't spin like I did,:embarassed: the handling/drop kit would definitely help. Can't wait to get the disc from your lady so we can show these guys just how crazy we really are.:D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back