First Time 1/4 Mile

StinkyLinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to Mountain Park Dragway in Kentucky. DA calculated at 1814.

I1: 2.299
I2: 6.160
I3: 9.346
MPH (I3): 77.626
ET: 14.343
MPH: 97.576

Seem reasonable? 60k miles on truck now, pretty much stock. Guess I need to call JMB, JTSVP, and Venomous1 and set up a line of credit.

Regular cab or quad cab

Regular cab, shifting at 6k rpm. Only mods are k&n intake and underdrive pulley. For those on phone.

During 2 runs it felt like I was losing some power in pulses of a second or two. Worst run was 15.1 when this happened. Trap times were randomly working, so I didn't get that one.

front tire pressure, rear tire pressure, r u just spinning right off the line and not feathering the pedal to increase traction???

Congrats on your first time running it , you didn't set any records :) but I'm sure you had a great time , now you have a starting point to work with.

Just ran street tires at normal pressure. I didn't feel much spin. Was not dumping it, and was launching 2500 rpm or so. Cleaned tires by dumping at 3500 and it would spin.

Congrats on your first time running it , you didn't set any records :) but I'm sure you had a great time , now you have a starting point to work with.

Yeah, I enjoyed it! Just was hoping for 13.99, since factory is 13.6 at 105 per Wikipedia.

What was the density altitude at the time of the run?

What was the corrected e/t based on that DA?

What was the corrected e/t based on that DA?

14.045 @ 99.667. Mph is a little low , should be in the 103-105 range with his mods. Probably needs a fine tune. The ET is more reliant on the 60' time and his launch technique. Get the 60' under 2.00 and he will be in the 13's easy. I think his issue with the engine missing a few times during the run(if he is shifting at 6000, he is probably hitting the factory rev limiter @6050) is costing him the lower speed. Good that he is having fun legally!

Here is an OLD video from 2006 when my truck was full weight (I even had an aftermarket bed cover), only mods were headers, Volant Ram Air, tune, X-metal shifter , 4.56 gears and M&H Drag Radials (390-40-17).The DA that day was 2939'. I ran 12.64 @ 109+, corrected ET was [email protected]. But I never claim the corrected time for my truck, only the actual.

http://www.thefoat.com/video/B9sg121sgEEmkftsg121sgqXbnewRGV4KQ==.mp4

Last edited:
Trainman, the pulse I felt was through the rpm range not just at the shift. Would a failing wheel bearing cause something like this? I hear something (a different pitch than the exhaust) when turning left at speed, not the same turning right. Something to look in to.

And if the 6k shift is too high, what should I target? Thought I should stay high rpm for higher hp.

Last edited:
And if the 6k shift is too high, what should I target? Thought I should stay high rpm for higher hp.

Once you get a dyno tune on the truck you can set your shift points. In my video I have added, my truck has been tuned and Chris Jensen had moved the rev limiter from factory(6,050 rpm) to 6200 rpm. My best 1/4 mile times were achieved shifting 1-2 and 2-3 at 6000 and 3-4 at 5600(using max torque for best ET and speed). Some members on here shift at lower rpm, some recommend staying below 5500. It will depend on where peak horsepower is reached after you have had the vehicle tuned. In my case my peak power was around 5600 after tuning. When you get tuned on a dyno, then ask for a printout by RPM, set shift point at 200-400 over max peak horsepower.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back