Flywheel preferences

Gecko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've read through the search stuff on here and it seems that there isn't a consensus on whether or not upgrading to a lighter flywheel over oem is actually better. I'm in the market for a new clutch/flywheel combo and I'm trying to decide on the flywheel. I'll be going with the Spec stage 2+ for my clutch and then probably the viper hydraulics. What flywheel do you guys recommend? Fidenza? Spec? OEM?

Truck is stock for now performancewise but I plan on doing things in the near future.

Fidanza is a worth while investment whether your truck is stock or not.

I did not like my fidanza, if racing it began to make a racket after a few good hard passes and if I towed in town with it the same thing. Cleared up after driving for a bit like normal but still gave me the worries. I guess it depends on use of the truck.

best is stock flywheel. it has weight.momentum to move the heavy beast....

I went with a stock one. The engine shop did not even recommend cutting the old one. So I'm thinking that they wanted the most mass possible. Unsure if anyone has made a heavyweight flywheel for a Viper engine.

I had my stock one machined and it seems fine to me. I don't have a lot of miles on it yet.

I literally just got my Fidanza delivered two days ago, have not installed it yet though. It seems like depending on who you talk to... just like every other mod, some love it and same don't. I will be drag racing this truck hopefully sooner than later so I'll let you know my views on that situation after. Although it won't be for months.

I did not like my fidanza, if racing it began to make a racket after a few good hard passes and if I towed in town with it the same thing. Cleared up after driving for a bit like normal but still gave me the worries. I guess it depends on use of the truck.

I have not heard of this before. Do you know if anyone else has had this issue?

I like the weight of the stock one over the fidanza. Takes a little less rpms to get truck going
Seemed smother to me also..all of this is preferences though. Just because I didn't like it doesn't mean a you wont.

I like the weight of the stock one over the fidanza. Takes a little less rpms to get truck going
Seemed smother to me also..all of this is preferences though. Just because I didn't like it doesn't mean a you wont.

Did you experience this "racket" the other person spoke of?

I liked the fidanza in my first truck and would run one again.

Sorry for borrowing your topic. But when changing the flywheel, isnt there a risk for vibrations? The whole drivetrain is balanced with the stock one right?

Can you just bolt on another oem flywheel and then its all good?

Im in the same position as you. Clutch change (spec 2 endurance) hydraulics and now I have just surfaced my old flywheel manually on the truck but Im not sure if that is enough.. I can feel some very very small differences on the surface..

Jacob

Sorry for borrowing your topic. But when changing the flywheel, isnt there a risk for vibrations? The whole drivetrain is balanced with the stock one right?

Can you just bolt on another oem flywheel and then its all good?

Im in the same position as you. Clutch change (spec 2 endurance) hydraulics and now I have just surfaced my old flywheel manually on the truck but Im not sure if that is enough.. I can feel some very very small differences on the surface..

Jacob

Put a straight edge tool across the face of the flywheel. See if you have any gaps or high spots. If so you need to do something about it before installing a new clutch.

Put a straight edge tool across the face of the flywheel. See if you have any gaps or high spots. If so you need to do something about it before installing a new clutch.

I thought we were talking 0.0xx mm. Difficult to see. But Im thinking of taking an indicatorclock home from work and check the surface.

Allthough when I have already spent $1000+ on clutch and hydarulics I might just buy a new oem flywheel for maximum grip.. But I dont understand how I can be sure there will be no vibrations on the crank with a new one.. Maybe im just worrying too much?

Fidanza is great! Had mine 90k miles without issue. Refaced it once. The flywheel will NEVER make noise. That would be the clutch. Improper break in is the reason most had a diskike for an alum flywheel. All this momentum this/higher rpms to take off that, well it's just not true. My Quad Cab you can easily let out clutch pedal with no gas and get moving down the road. No noise, no chattering, just a smooth take off. So chalk another up to Fidanza and therefore a reason we sell them. Did I mention it'll knock off 2/10th in the 1/4? Oh yeah. Engine revs faster ;)

A fidanza is the best $ per hp mod there is. Just keep it under 700rwhp.

Are you guys with the fidenza getting any chattering when driving around in traffic? My truck is my DD and I do have to drive around town in traffic.

I also don't even know if my current flywheel is even the stock one. This is the only 10 I've ever driven so everything in it seems "stock" to me, even though I believe there's been a little bit of work done.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back