Flywheel problem on QCs?

oldguysrt10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Local law enforcement has 2 silver '05 SRT10 QCs. One has had 4 oem flywheel replacements, the other 2. 2 on each were replaced by DC under warranty. All avenues for information on cause turned up zip. All avenues for information on aftermarket upgrades also turned up zip.

Any info. or ideas?

Thanks,
oldguy

oh and check the output shaft on the trans also that will also drive MF'er nuts, thats all I can think of, any pic on what it looks like and where is messed up. (warped, cracked, etc)

DevilDawg3097 said:
oh and check the output shaft on the trans also that will also drive MF'er nuts, thats all I can think of, any pic on what it looks like and where is messed up. (warped, cracked, etc)

He didn't have pictures, and the shop took on 38" of water from Ike and the old ones were thrown out at cleanup. He drew me a picture. Botton line is the centers broke out on all the failures. Initial failures on both trucks were prior to any transmission work. Both of these trucks get abused.

oldguy

if it broke out the center, 1st did they change the convertors or are they the same ones? also check the crank end make sure it is true.

Initial failures on both were with stock converters. At least one failure each were after converters were changed.

With the problem appearing to be so rare for others I'm inclined to believe the failures are in some way related to use. My understanding is that their tranny failures were linked to idling long-term in Park (no circulation of fluid for cooling) then dropping the trucks into drive for pursuits. There was also speculation that some of their problems were associated with sliding/spinning tires through mud and/or grass then having impacts with curbs resulting in significant force shocks to the drivetrain.

oldguy

Yeah beating on them will mess them up but your getting the same faliure all the time but rare to the truck overall "cops aren't the only ones that can beat on stuff. With the intial beatings this could of some how messed the crank up if that thing gets one nick or gauge you are throwing it out of balance, one thing people forget is this motor has to be perfectly balanced or your gonna have nothing but problems. one reason you don't see to mnay true v10s.
When I bought my truck the crank pulley fell off I only had the truck for 2 weeks. they went to put it back together and there was 3 gauges int it and there is no sanding down without messin it up. For shits and giggles check the crank for being true. there is a way to check it without removing it. I will get the info if you need it?

DevilDawg3097 said:
Yeah beating on them will mess them up but your getting the same faliure all the time but rare to the truck overall "cops aren't the only ones that can beat on stuff. With the intial beatings this could of some how messed the crank up if that thing gets one nick or gauge you are throwing it out of balance, one thing people forget is this motor has to be perfectly balanced or your gonna have nothing but problems. one reason you don't see to mnay true v10s.
When I bought my truck the crank pulley fell off I only had the truck for 2 weeks. they went to put it back together and there was 3 gauges int it and there is no sanding down without messin it up. For shits and giggles check the crank for being true. there is a way to check it without removing it. I will get the info if you need it?

If you can get the info. on checking the crank without removing it I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks,
oldguy

oldguysrt10 said:
Local law enforcement has 2 silver '05 SRT10 QCs. One has had 4 oem flywheel replacements, the other 2. 2 on each were replaced by DC under warranty. All avenues for information on cause turned up zip. All avenues for information on aftermarket upgrades also turned up zip.

Any info. or ideas?

Thanks,
oldguy

I must have jinxed myself posting the above. My truck went boom (not engine) this afternoon and I'm 99% sure it's the flywheel. I have it at the transmission shop now and will post findings and experience to fix. My transmission guy speculates it's a harmonics problem from high rpms. I run WOT pretty much every outing as does law enforcement per above.

oldguy

crankshaft end play is what devildawg is sayin.

probably the easiest way is to gently pry the crankshaft back & forth at the damper. MAX is .010"

the flywheels in these trucks seem a bit flimsy. the one in my little isuzu is 3 times thicker. maybe they just need to put a stronger flywheel in?

oldguysrt10 said:

Any info. or ideas?

Thanks,
oldguy

the problem is probably due to every cop wanting to get their shot raping the trucks on someone elses tab...taxpayers?

Yellow venom said:
Before the flywhell goes out what is it doing? Vibration at certain RPM?

Initially sounded like an exhaust leak, transitioned into periodically sounding like a bearing on the alternator or power steering pump was going out, then developed an rpm specific minor vibration, follwed by a pop, then no transition of power through the drivetrain. From first symptom to failure was less than 30 miles.

oldguy

oldguysrt10 said:
Initially sounded like an exhaust leak, transitioned into periodically sounding like a bearing on the alternator or power steering pump was going out, then developed an rpm specific minor vibration, follwed by a pop, then no transition of power through the drivetrain. From first symptom to failure was less than 30 miles.

oldguy

OK,thanks for the feedback,I have a vibration at about 4000rpm,but its been there for a while and its got something to do with the tranny,when accelerating it does it,alot more noticable when you hold it in gear manually,it sounds like those tin pieces vibrating on the exhaust manifolds but its not that??:dontknow:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back