Ford or Chevy Van?

mauiSRT/10

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might have to purchase a new van for my business. I have always bought ford vans but looked at the chevy cargo express yesterday and thought it looked quite nice. It also comes with a 5 year 100k mile warranty.

I have had two ford e 350 cube vans over the past 20 years. I am thinking about downsizing to a regular cargo van 250 or 350 size. Obviously the 350 carries more weight. Anybody have any opinions on the chevy vans? I know the limitations of the ford vans. AC units seem to always break right about when the warranty runs out. On Maui I gotta have ac, its not optional IMO.

Any input would be appreciated. My local ford dealer has a half dozen 2008 models left over that they would be willing to deal on. Chevy dealer has 3 2500 cargo express models available.

Is it possible to upgrade the springs/shocks on a 250 model so it can carry more weight? Or if I am gonna be loading the van at/near its max capacity should I just spend the extra $ now and get the 350 model?

Dodge dealer on Maui is done. So a dodge sprinter van is not an option.

thanks guys

patrick

mauiSRT/10 said:
I might have to purchase a new van for my business. I have always bought ford vans but looked at the chevy cargo express yesterday and thought it looked quite nice. It also comes with a 5 year 100k mile warranty.

I have had two ford e 350 cube vans over the past 20 years. I am thinking about downsizing to a regular cargo van 250 or 350 size. Obviously the 350 carries more weight. Anybody have any opinions on the chevy vans? I know the limitations of the ford vans. AC units seem to always break right about when the warranty runs out. On Maui I gotta have ac, its not optional IMO.

Any input would be appreciated. My local ford dealer has a half dozen 2008 models left over that they would be willing to deal on. Chevy dealer has 3 2500 cargo express models available.

Is it possible to upgrade the springs/shocks on a 250 model so it can carry more weight? Or if I am gonna be loading the van at/near its max capacity should I just spend the extra $ now and get the 350 model?

Dodge dealer on Maui is done. So a dodge sprinter van is not an option.

thanks guys

patrick

Patrick, I bought a 2500 Express a year ago and love it. You can put overloads etc on it to carry a little more weight, but a 3500 is more than just a little bigger springs. If you think you're going to exceed the capability of a 3/4 ton, step up to a 1 ton...IMHO.

Remember that load ratings are based on axle and bearing loads, not the springs.

You can add stiffer springs to a 1500 and carry 3 tons, but the axles will fail.

And generally the brakes will be larger.

Generally your maintenance costs will be less by under loading a 3500, than over loading a 2500.

Sucks you can't get a Sprinter.... People I know that have them, love them... mostly because you can stand up in them.

What engine options are you looking at? .... If you can get the Chevy with a Duramax/Allison, that would be the way to go IMO.

I have had both the Ford and now a Chevy 2500 express access van. The chevy does not bump steer as bad as the ford does. The ride is much smoother and I have had no issues with the chevy. The ford is another story.

Attachments

• CMNEW_12.JPG
    CMNEW_12.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 767
do u guys get the VW transporter?

http://www.volkswagen.com.au/vwcms/...au/New_Cars/commercial_range/transporter.html

I just bought a VW Tiguan 2.0 diesel for the missus, getting 1200k's per tank for $60. Diesel is $1.10 per litre. Its bloody great.

THe transporter and crafter are popular down here alongside the mercedes sprinter.

Ive always been a mopar only buyer but the VW quality and diesel engines are great..

Diesel fuel is hyperxpensive here. Always is way more than premium. I think its $4.50 or something a gallon. So there wont be any diesels in my future.

Thanks for all the input guys, I do appreciate it.

patrick

kalani said:
shit!! diesel is the cheap shit here!!
Same here diesel is like $.15 cheaper....
as far as the van I'd go with the Ford, I've had several of them and like you said the only real issue I had was A/C leaking....it was like my right hand man, it would do whatever I'd throw at it.....I'd load pallets of crap in the Ford and do a 600 mile round trip afew times a week for years and it never left me stranded 1 time, and for that reason there I'll always like Ford! On the other hand I rented a Sh*tvy uhaul a little less than a yr old and it needed road side assistance unloaded too :mad: Theres a reason Ford is still in business;)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back