Friend looking at a truck with a paxton...need advice

Frosty05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine with an '05 QC is looking at trading in his truck for a red '05 RC with a paxton at a dealer lot here in Illinois.
Looks like they don't have any documentation on who did the build, truck looks like its bone stock (no af or boost gauges) until you pop the hood.

Any thoughts or advice on this. I told him he should probably tread carefully since he has no way of knowing how much boost is running or if its even tuned right, but i figured I'd post and see what you guys think.

Its this one or a totally stock 05 RC he found, which looks like a safer bet to me. This will be his daily driver for at least the next year or so

Inspecting the engine carefully and test driving it will tell much. If they are willing to sell it the way it is and have it covered that way with an extended warranty, I'd say it's a safe bet.

I think he got scared off. He's looking and NA trucks now. Dealer said they would sell an extended warranty, but anything that could be attributed to the SC would void it...so basically you couldn't even buy a warranty since anything like a thrown rod or spun bearing could somehow be related to the SC.

I said that to the dealer too. He basically said that it was a fairly accurate statement.

I can see why after that. It's high risk. Stock is definitely the way to go then.

if it is my old one i had it done at woodhouse dodge they did the whole conversion and i put a clutch in it..i wish i could remember any identifying marks on it but i cant,,,,and i think mine was an 04

A friend of mine with an '05 QC is looking at trading in his truck for a red '05 RC with a paxton at a dealer lot here in Illinois.
Looks like they don't have any documentation on who did the build, truck looks like its bone stock (no af or boost gauges) until you pop the hood.

Any thoughts or advice on this. I told him he should probably tread carefully since he has no way of knowing how much boost is running or if its even tuned right, but i figured I'd post and see what you guys think.

Its this one or a totally stock 05 RC he found, which looks like a safer bet to me. This will be his daily driver for at least the next year or so

If its at a dealer, have them do a compression test, leak down test and bore scope the cylinders for damage, I'm sure its only making 5,6psi.
How many miles on the truck?

35k.
Either way, its going to be his daily driver for the next year or two. Given the risk, i think he's probably better off with a NA anyway.

went and looked today it is my old truck...crazy looks just like the day i got it.....professionally done and dynoed when i did it.i had it done at woodhouse before i took delivery put a clutch in it also...looks great..

Try to work with Randy over there if you can. He was the guy i was talking to. He's done a lot of legwork on that truck. Tell him chris sent you over ;-)

Now that is an Afro!
Nice microphone also. Probably only took six "D" batteries the run thing.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back