Front Brakes Tutorial?

Black1 said:
What did you end up using to push the pistons back, Kevan? :confused:
I used a 'quick-clamp' and a piece of 1/8" thick plexiglass (on each side).

With the new pads and rotors going in, I'm going to be doing a DIY article on just pad replacement.

NOTE: the process for the 2004 front brakes is VERY DIFFERENT.
The instructions listed in this thread are for the 2005-2006 trucks only.

What are the calipers made of on the 05's? I know they are twin piston and probably modulate better than the single piston 04's, but I'm interested in saving some unsprung weight and the 04's are real bricks. I would love to save some weight. I have looked for after-market and nobody addresses the SRT10 except discs.

walenator said:
What are the calipers made of on the 05's? I know they are twin piston and probably modulate better than the single piston 04's, but I'm interested in saving some unsprung weight and the 04's are real bricks. I would love to save some weight. I have looked for after-market and nobody addresses the SRT10 except discs.
I haven't drilled into them (heh heh), but my guess would be that they are cast steel or forged aluminum.

TRW's site is down right now. When it gets back up, I'll post the specs on the calipers.

Kevan said:
I haven't drilled into them (heh heh), but my guess would be that they are cast steel or forged aluminum.

TRW's site is down right now. When it gets back up, I'll post the specs on the calipers.
Thanks. I would love to knock some weight out of the front end. An aluminum caliper would help. Stink was hinting at an airbag suspension which would replace the heavy lower control arm. The only thing left would be the 85 pound wheel and tire.

Whats the diff. between the 04 and 05, I here twin piston! should i start looking for a set to these? and what about the rear pads! I understand they dont get used as much but dang I want to replace all!!!!!!

walenator said:
Thanks. I would love to knock some weight out of the front end. An aluminum caliper would help. Stink was hinting at an airbag suspension which would replace the heavy lower control arm. The only thing left would be the 85 pound wheel and tire.

I know the rotors are HEAVVVVVVY!

Kevan, you rock!! Thanks for all the info and help Bro!! Ive got my aftermarket pads arriving tomorrow so im gonna get the truck on jacks by the end of this week and get rid of those damn factory dust pads!! I appreciate all the info!!!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back