Front End Rattle...solved!

Chuck B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What an idiot! Yup, me being the idiot. I've had a front end rattle that has bugged me for years. Only occurred while on bumpy gravel or pot holes but when it did rattle you could tell it was something substantial. I've spent countless time under the front trying to figure it out. I know one person had a similar rattle and the dealership figured out it was a main mounting bracket well buried behind the radiator. If I recall it was hundreds of dollars in labor just to get to the mounting bolt.

Well, I've basically parked my SRT the past 6 months and every couple weeks I'd throw the trickle charger on it. Last weekend I pulled it out and noticed the starter was cranking slow. Got home and charged the battery then load tested it. Tester showed battery was on its way out. It was a 2yr 11mo 2 wk old Optima red top battery....just made the 3yr replacement warranty by 2 weeks :rock:

Anyways, picked up a new exchange today and mounted up the battery. As a last minute test I gave the battery a tug just to make sure it was properly latched/synched down in the tray. What the ?! One side of the battery lifted up. Seems I failed to install "both" adapters rather than just one adapter. Did the same with the old battery. I again lifted the battery and let it fall....its was music to my ears. I just found my rattle!

I attached the other adapter and headed out to hit a few potholes....quiet as can be! :D

Chuck B said:
What an idiot! Yup, me being the idiot. I've had a front end rattle that has bugged me for years. Only occurred while on bumpy gravel or pot holes but when it did rattle you could tell it was something substantial. I've spent countless time under the front trying to figure it out. I know one person had a similar rattle and the dealership figured out it was a main mounting bracket well buried behind the radiator. If I recall it was hundreds of dollars in labor just to get to the mounting bolt.

Well, I've basically parked my SRT the past 6 months and every couple weeks I'd throw the trickle charger on it. Last weekend I pulled it out and noticed the starter was cranking slow. Got home and charged the battery then load tested it. Tester showed battery was on its way out. It was a 2yr 11mo 2 wk old Optima red top battery....just made the 3yr replacement warranty by 2 weeks :rock:

Anyways, picked up a new exchange today and mounted up the battery. As a last minute test I gave the battery a tug just to make sure it was properly latched/synched down in the tray. What the ?! One side of the battery lifted up. Seems I failed to install "both" adapters rather than just one adapter. Did the same with the old battery. I again lifted the battery and let it fall....its was music to my ears. I just found my rattle!

I attached the other adapter and headed out to hit a few potholes....quiet as can be! :D
:banghead: :D

That's excellent. Now it'll be quiet enough for you to hear the still fainter annoying noises. LOL

Sorry it took you so long to find the rattle,but good news indeed.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back