Fuel mileage for a Ford F-250

cobraken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at an '05 F-250 Harley Davidson 6.0 turbo diesel. What kind of mileage can I expect city/hiway? Anyone know the tow rating?

I've read and heard between 18-22 mpg (your mileage may vary). I was interested in a 6.0 Excursion. Did some asking around and was steered away from the 6.0. Know a guy that has a tow fleet and has a couple of 6.0's. He said they need head gaskets about every 30K miles like clockwork. Said when that happens it takes out another component but forgot what he said it was.

As this would have been a travel vehicle I got scared of the thought of being somewhere away from home with the thing in the shop for a couple days. I need dependability. So that's what I know. Hopefully others will chime in.

ChrisAZ said:
The 6.0's are trouble. The older engine was much better.
Yeah, that's what I heard too. The 7.3 PowerStrokes were good. They got about 18 mpg highway.

I absolutely LOVED the '05 Harley F-250 Diesel. THE best looking 4x4 truck ever built in my opinion. I rubberneck every time I see one on the road.

the new one get 11 to 15 if you tow its around 8 my brother has a 08 with 5k miles on it.they offered him 28k on a trade in.

I'd stay away from the 6.0... lots of problems with that engine system. I bought a 2008 F250 4x4 V-10 gas 6.8 and it tows my 7,000 lbs trailer just fine @ 10 mpg. its gets 14 mpg if i baby it.
The new 6.4 diesels get about the same mileage as the gas v-10s. You can get $16k-18K of stickers now!..... its sad,they can't give them away.

I get about 10 with mine w/o the bully dog I do mostly city and tow trailers.
My dad has an 06 f350 and it gets about 15 stock with a fair bit highway they are fairly similar to the chev.
I believe the guys running dodges get better mileage but a little less off the line power.
I had an 04 6.0l and it was crap but the 05,06's are better.
If you run them hard they will only last about 2 years IMO so make sure it was driven by an old guy towing a travel trailer or a guy that did not tow!!!!!!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back