Fuel Schematic for 2000 Camaro SS

HDVIPER

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, a friend of mine and I upgraded his fuel pump in his camaro and when we started the car, after about 30-45 seconds we had fuel coming out of the tank. We dropped the tank again to see if we did something wrong and we had fuel coming out of the evap canister...:dontknow: Does anyone have a fuel schematic that might be able to help us put this thing back together correctly? Thanks for any help...

I'll post this on an F body forum that I'm on. I'm sure someone has the answer. Does he have a return style system?

Scrambler1 said:
I'll post this on an F body forum that I'm on. I'm sure someone has the answer. Does he have a return style system?

Thanks dude. Yes, it does. Thanks Scrambler. :rock:

It sounds like you hooked up the return line to the EVAP system. Are you using the stock fuel pump module with just and upgraded pump installed in the module? Did you take all of the EVAP lines off when doing this? Both the fuel feed and return lines will have white quick release tabs (sometime blue or green too). All the other EVAP lines should all be black tabs molded to the lines. At the fuel pump module the center connection should be for the EVAP.

Below is the best pic I could find.
2 is the return
4 is the feed
3 & 7 are EVAP

camarotank.gif

Stingray said:
It sounds like you hooked up the return line to the EVAP system. Are you using the stock fuel pump module with just and upgraded pump installed in the module? Did you take all of the EVAP lines off when doing this? Both the fuel feed and return lines will have white quick release tabs (sometime blue or green too). All the other EVAP lines should all be black tabs molded to the lines. At the fuel pump module the center connection should be for the EVAP.

Below is the best pic I could find.
2 is the return
4 is the feed
3 & 7 are EVAP

camarotank.gif

Thanks for the response. Yes, we just replaced the pump itself. Utilizing the stock cage, float, etc... We did have to take off the evap lines to take the pump assembly out. what would happen if we switched the fuel line with the return line? Would the engine even start? It seems idiot proof for the evap lines because they are different connections. hmmmm :hmmmm2:

HDVIPER said:
Thanks for the response. Yes, we just replaced the pump itself. Utilizing the stock cage, float, etc... We did have to take off the evap lines to take the pump assembly out. what would happen if we switched the fuel line with the return line? Would the engine even start? It seems idiot proof for the evap lines because they are different connections. hmmmm :hmmmm2:
I am guessing that you switched the fuel return and EVAP lines (2 & 3) at the pump or at where the 3 tank lines connect to the vehicle (the 3 lines around the #7 location). The fuel feed line is 3/8" and the car wouldn't have started. The return is 5/16" and sometimes the EVAP lines are also the same size or 1/4".

The 2 outer lines coming off of the pump (2 & 4) should not connect to anything but the vehicle. Those line only go from the pump to the vehicle lines uninterrupted.

Stingray said:
I am guessing that you switched the fuel return and EVAP lines (2 & 3) at the pump or at where the 3 tank lines connect to the vehicle (the 3 lines around the #7 location). The fuel feed line is 3/8" and the car wouldn't have started. The return is 5/16" and sometimes the EVAP lines are also the same size or 1/4".

The 2 outer lines coming off of the pump (2 & 4) should not connect to anything but the vehicle. Those line only go from the pump to the vehicle lines uninterrupted.

Interesting... ok the 2 & 4 are hooked directly to the vehicle for the fuel and return lines. But there is still a problem with fuel coming out around the canister to the right of 5. I can't figure this out, what the heck am I doing wrong here?:toilet:

Are you positive that you have the correct vehicle side lines hooked up correctly to the tank and pump?

If you have the tank installed in the vehicle disconnect #7 from the vehicle and run the car. See what happens.

If possible can you take a pic of the tank (if it's out) and/or vehicle to tank connections.

If everything is hook up properly then the problem is somehow in the fuel module (cage). And fuel is being pushed out the #3 connection and filling the EVAP system.

Thanks stingray I will try swithching them out tomorrow and report everything back. hopefully you could be available? Thanks for your help...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back