Garage Lifts...Looking

Kevan said:
Since our driveway is already badly cracked (thank you, builder!), and our garage has a room above it so it's height is only 8', I was looking at something like this:
http://www.hardingsteel.com/st24c.htm
Remember "The Green Hornet" and how his car latched to the floor and then flipped under to expose another car. There ya go, that's what you need. :D

Hey Prof, When you go to have the garage door modified to a full vertical lift. Don't let the company tell you that you need a new door. Any door can be converted from a standard lift to a full or partial vert. It's all in the springs and drums. The only parts you will need to convert it are new springs, drums, cables and possibly track. I would figure out a way to re-use the old horizontals. They should be long enough. With 19' of headroom you may be able to use the standard door opener as well. Just stand it up on end toward the ceiling. Again, it's all in the springs and drums on how well the door balances. The motor only guides the door. They should be able to take the width / height and the weight of the door and reconfigure for the proper spring(s). If you have any questions about garage doors, that's my business. I'll help however I can.

Prof said:
As usual...you folks are giving me data overload! How niave of me to think you would make it possible for me to make an easy decision.

I want to use the lift on my cars and truck...but I also want to store my "brick" which gets very little use. I'm also told that my move to northern Illinois in the next month will severly limit the use of the SRT 10 due to wet/frozen roads in the winter...

Decisions, decisions, decisions...guess I will just put it in the hands of the spousal unit that is much more analytical than this old absent minded prof...

Many thanks for your input all!
Hey Prof, If you need any fingers smashed give me a call. I do have references.:D

Hey prof i have ample experience on both lifts since i used the four post drive on for about 2 years when i was doin lubes at dodge. The drive on is great hobby lift imo. For storing cars esp your truck I strongly believe that the 4 post is what you should get. You just drive your truck on, set it on the locks and it is very stable. The two post is a better lift for shop work because it doesnt really get in the way like the 4 post drive on would. However the one thing i dont like is since our trucks (the RC) have a really short wheel base along with design of the frame, when you rack it up the arms end up being placed really closed together and the truck tends to "rock' a lil bit when its up in the air which makes me feel uneasy about placin a car underneath. Keep in mind these are the two post above ground lifts i'm refering to.

I'm interested in this one:
http://www.superlifts.com/sj7000.html
I'll eventually get the XLT which raises 10" higher so I don't bump my head and cause anymore dain bramage than I currently suffer from.
When your ready call them and ask questions about the lift. Sometimes the salesperson will throw in some options to try and get you to buy.

Last edited:
SilvrSRT10 said:
I'm interested in this one:
http://www.superlifts.com/sj7000.html
I'll eventually get the XLT which raises 10" higher so I don't bump my head and cause anymore dain bramage than I currently suffer from.
When your ready call them and ask questions about the lift. Sometimes the salesperson will throw in some options to try and get you to buy.
Are those four post lifts wide enough for our trucks to fit in the underneath slot when there is another car on top?

They claim to be 98.5 inches wide which is wider than eight feet. You might have to fold the mirrors in but the truck should fit.

We installed a 4-post @ my house and love it, it is over 100+" wide, so I can get my truck on without folding in the mirrors...

-Red

Prof,

I have buddies in Tx with shops that have both, and I got a chance to check out Patrick/Jacks lift this last weekend....their 4 post seems like one hellofa deal at that price.....

Good luck man....

I would go w/ a 2-Post lift for sure. I would not go with anything other than ROTARY LIFT. But that is just me. They have some great features and lots of styles to fit your budget.

Go Here: http://www.rotarylift.com/

19' Ceilings!!! :eek: Good Lord, Man! Where did you move, the Taj Mahal??? :D

Black1 said:
I would go w/ a 2-Post lift for sure. I would not go with anything other than ROTARY LIFT. But that is just me. They have some great features and lots of styles to fit your budget.

Go Here: http://www.rotarylift.com/

19' Ceilings!!! :eek: Good Lord, Man! Where did you move, the Taj Mahal??? :D
Speaking of Taj Mahal, what's a Rotary in-ground cost? :D

You missed my earlier post about the cracked concrete in the driveway. Tearing that up is not the issue. :)

I should get out of this thread. There's no way to install a lift here without serious house mods. I love this house, but not *that* much.

I guess it's jack stands for me!

Rotary even had one 2-post that had a "media station" right on the lift. :rock: But, now I don't see it on the website. :( ... Must not have sold too well. It was pretty sweet tho! :D

Kevan said:
You missed my earlier post about the cracked concrete in the driveway. Tearing that up is not the issue. :)

I should get out of this thread. There's no way to install a lift here without serious house mods. I love this house, but not *that* much.

I guess it's jack stands for me!

Replacing concrete is not that difficult or expensive. It only gets pricey when you pay someone to do it for you. Having done concrete construction for the better part of my past career in building, I can tell you off the top of my head...You should be able to simply cut 3 foot by 3 foot holes in the floor where the posts should go, dig them about 12-15 inches deep, and call a concrete truck. Should cost you about $300 for the concrete, $50 for a diamond blade for a skil saw, and you are good to go!!

Greg

fun2xlr8 said:
Replacing concrete is not that difficult or expensive. It only gets pricey when you pay someone to do it for you. Having done concrete construction for the better part of my past career in building, I can tell you off the top of my head...You should be able to simply cut 3 foot by 3 foot holes in the floor where the posts should go, dig them about 12-15 inches deep, and call a concrete truck. Should cost you about $300 for the concrete, $50 for a diamond blade for a skil saw, and you are good to go!!

Greg

I think Kevan wanted to do a "inground" lift. He would have to dig a hole a little deeper than 15"... :dontknow:

You guys can stop right now. There will be no digging or sawing.

CEILING HEIGHT IN MY GARAGE:
8' (aka: 96 inches, 243cm).

A lift any kind, shape, size, or mounting variety is not happening.

(Yes- we have a 4000+ sq.ft. house and a frickin' garden shed for a garage. Nice design, MI Homes.)

Kevan said:

(Yes- we have a 4000+ sq.ft. house and a frickin' garden shed for a garage. Nice design, MI Homes.)

Well, it sounds to me like you need to put a grease pit in then. First, you cut a long hole about 5 feet deep down the center of the garage, then you take a ......oh........ nevermind, hehehe, just dreaming of all the stuff I want to do with my garage.

Greg

Kevan said:

LMAO!!! I never realized you lived in New Albany! LOL!!! How IS ol' Leslie Wexner these days? ;) (I used to live in Gahanna, OH.)

MI homes are still the KINGS of shit-kicking design, I see. :rolleyes: The quality has gotten better, tho I think....

Do what I did and build your own house. You can make your garage as big as you want. :rock: My 3 car garage is 36' X 28'....will actually fit 4 cars if needed and ceiling is about 13'.:D

Les is good. And still rich as hell. :D

The rest of the house is really nice. It's the garage that's a joke. If you're ever in the area, stop by and check out the punchline for yourself.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back