Gas tank issue

Chuck B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5-6yrs ago I was at a friends house when a huge thunderstorm hit...major flooding. I got in the truck and did a couple deep water crossings. Later that day I pulled in to refuel and was unable to get more a sec or two of fuel. Pump would shut off like it was full. Pulled the handle out and fuel was indeed full to the fuel door. It would slowly trickle down into the tank.

Got the truck home and pulled the inlet tube, verified the check ball was moving and looked around not seeing anything out of the ordinary. Put it all back together and haven't had an issue till today.

Last friday we had another deluge of water. Had a couple deep water crossings. later that day I could not fill the tank like previously. I had enough fuel to get home and parked it. Today I again try to fill the tank and same symptoms.

Get the truck over to a buddy's who has a full lift. This time I pull the vent line from the fill cap to the tank...rubber at fill cap and turns to metal tube. I verify the rubber portion is clear. Connect a hose to the metal tube going to the tank (topside) and blow/suck...nada. Can't get air moving in either direction.

I get my remote visual camera up on top of the tank and see the hard line goes to a connection on top and there is another hose T onto the same connection. Follow it forward and it goes to the EVAP cannisters/purge valve etc in front of the tank. I pull where this hose connects to the EVAP cannister. I go back to the hard line and blow/suck....still no air movement.

At this point I add a little bit of pressurized air to the tube....about 1 oz of water discharges from the EVAP side of the hose. Blow a bit more air to make sure all water is out. Put it all back together and attempt to fill with fuel...no go.

Did some research tonite and found several similar situations with other dodge models. Went thru some of the do this, test this procedures and at the end situations/solutions I found posted determine that the connection point on top the tank is actually a valve. Fix is to replace the tank. It appears that valve is not sold separately. heck, I don't know if its removable.

Only way to get my hands on the valve is to pull the bed or drop the tank. Decided to leave it alone for now. Anyone run into something similar, know of something similar or any suggestions. The water part has me a bit stumped.

Edit: I did speak with a mechanic buddy. he is not dodge specific but he stated that the EVAP system will go through a purge cycle after an initial start up...usually within 10 min. Both times I was in deep water within that time period. The EVAP cannisters do have vent intake but its located above teh cannisters...I know I wasn't in that deep of water. However, there is what I think is a purge valve with an open nipple that hangs pretty low off of the cannisters. Maybe water entered thru there....:dontknow:

Before I get under the truck and start fumbling around trying to figure out what does what and what goes where and dropping the fuel tank thought I'd post this to the collective... THIA

Hey Chuck, looks like nobody here has a clue what is happening to your truck. That really surprises me cause "there ain't nothing new under the sun" and some of the guys here have torn down to the ground and rebuilt these trucks. Sorry I could not help and do hope someone chimes in with some help.

Got in the truck to take some mattresses to the dump. Pulled in to try filling it....filled right up like normal. Hate problems that 'fix' themselves but not willing to go thru deep water to cause the problem again if water is in deed the trigger.

Got in the truck to take some mattresses to the dump. Pulled in to try filling it....filled right up like normal. Hate problems that 'fix' themselves but not willing to go thru deep water to cause the problem again if water is in deed the trigger.

Chuck, contact VPRPWRD if it happens again. He and I recently discussed a similar problem (not SRT10 specific) and he seemed familiar with the problem and the solution.

These trucks dont like rain, mine acts funny. Well my IAC only becomes stuck during times ive driven it in a rain. Ive cleaned it out and it still does it. It is fine when its not raining, just doesnt like rain.

Ive taken it as a hint to not drive it the rain period.

Chuck, contact VPRPWRD if it happens again. He and I recently discussed a similar problem (not SRT10 specific) and he seemed familiar with the problem and the solution.

We have so many conversations that you will have to refresh my memory on that one.

I have never had this issue on my Ram but have had it on Ford worktrucks. In order to fill correctly the tank has to have a clear vent through the evap system and back up to the small vent pipe near the fill nozzle. As you add fuel to the tank it has to have a way to displace air from the tank and it does this by venting through the evap canister and then into the atmosphere. I am not that familiar with the Dodge setup but Ford's has charcoal particles inside of it that are used to filter the gas vapors before letting them vent to the filler neck area. Before dropping the tank I would try to isolate where the blockage is. If you go to the evap canister and remove the line coming from the tank can you blow air through the evap canister all the way to the vent near the filler neck? If not clear this area first. If this is clear than you must have an obstruction in the line between evap and tank. I wouldn't try to blow this one out since you will only blow the blockage into the tank.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back