gear change

moparviper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone on here have a tutorial on how to swap gears out in our trucks. After the last trip to the track I have way to much gear and wanna go back to the 4.10

I know its alot to ask but it would be appreciated and im sure alot of ppl could use it:rock:

Call Devon at Unitrax and he can give a great rundown bro. There are also a few here who may speak up. Most had them done at a shop:burnout:

Call Devon at Unitrax and he can give a great rundown bro. There are also a few here who may speak up. Most had them done at a shop:burnout:

I had my buddy do it at his shop back in Cincinnati. Still dont know anyone down here that can do it as a reasonable price. I figured with my new found mechanical skills I would try to tackle this.

If I call anyone it would go in one ear and out the other. I need a hard copy

I had my buddy do it at his shop back in Cincinnati. Still dont know anyone down here that can do it as a reasonable price. I figured with my new found mechanical skills I would try to tackle this.

If I call anyone it would go in one ear and out the other. I need a hard copy

Lol, I bet he may can send instructions on the Dana 60. Justin has a good idea as he did everything but gears in his.
It's really just unbolting everything and bolting back together. Setting your pattern via pinion depth shimming is the most critical part of it all.

Lol, I bet he may can send instructions on the Dana 60. Justin has a good idea as he did everything but gears in his.
It's really just unbolting everything and bolting back together. Setting your pattern via pinion depth shimming is the most critical part of it all.

Thats really what im confused about. The pinion depth and then i see guys talking about pinion angle 4 ,-4, 3,-6. And I have no idea what there talking about.

If I just take it apart then put it all back exactly the same besides putting the 410 back in would I be alright

What gears do you have? Maybe I'll swap you complete rear ends and save us both some work?

What gears do you have? Maybe I'll swap you complete rear ends and save us both some work?

I got 4.56 in there now. But I doubt I wouod wanna trade. My spider gears are hardened with new clutch packs

I feel like that would be alot of work too. My huddy did the swap in 4 hours. Idk if I could pull a rear end and install a new one in that amount of time

Thats really what im confused about. The pinion depth and then i see guys talking about pinion angle 4 ,-4, 3,-6. And I have no idea what there talking about.

If I just take it apart then put it all back exactly the same besides putting the 410 back in would I be alright

I don't want to confuse people. Pinion angle is how the rear end sets in the springs. Pinion depth is how deep or shallow the pinion sets in relation to the ring gear. Pinion angle has nothing to do with a gear swap.

I don't want to confuse people. Pinion angle is how the rear end sets in the springs. Pinion depth is how deep or shallow the pinion sets in relation to the ring gear. Pinion angle has nothing to do with a gear swap.

Thats helpful! Can anyone else add anything?

You need to get ahold of your buddy and see if they changed the carrier when they put the 4.56's in. I know they make a 4.56 gear that fits a 4.10 carrier but not sure if they make a 4.10 gear that fits a 4.56 carrier. And if you have the cash it'd be worth it to just have a shop do it. If you didn't have to setup a whole new gear set I would say do it yourself but setting.h up the ring and pinion is a lot of trial and error.

If you have never done a gear swap before i would suggest getting done at a shop. they are complex. there is no crush washer . Both sides have to be shimmed perfectly! proper amount of shims in front of the bearing to set depth.then proper shims behind the rear bearing to set slight preload on turning the pinion. Then you need to assemble the carrier and crown by shimming either side to set wear pattern.You need speciallty tools to spread the housing. i had to farmer one. If pattern and backlash cannot be set. you must start all over again and reset pinion depth. Which means pulling the front bearing off with a puller. Alot of trial and error without the proper tools to measure. If the backlash is more than .008" , you risk tearing out the spider gears with any traction. The 4.56 set fits in the 4.10 carrier.

Last edited:
I agree with the others! Depth is crucial for proper tooth contact... If you want it to last take it to someone that does rearends a lot! Probably not the best idea to make your rookie debut on a vehicle that can go over 150mph... And I may be wrong on this, but if your gears have been cryoed or set up for racing... wouldn't they have been softened???

Pretty much what they said above. It's not impossible by any means! It similar to engine building where tolerances are crucial! Basically if you plan to take it apart/put back together a few times to get proper setup backlash/gear pattern/pinion depth/preload you'll be good. Like ArrestmeRed said, you need to know what gears are in there first. The pinion/ring are usually stamped or engraved with part number and ratio. You could have a 4.56 gearset for a 4.10 carrier, or you have a 4.56 carrier basically. Really give Devon a shout. He can send the install package to you and I'm sure it'll come with most basic instructions. Not specific likely, but should help.
Have your buddy guide you through it? :dontknow: :cheers:

They didnt change the carrier out. My trucks a 04 so it came with the 4.10s I swapped to the 4.56 using the stock carrier. not expecting to make this much power. My build was only suppose to be a heads and cam.

So now im going back to the stock 4.10 that were originally in it

They didnt change the carrier out. My trucks a 04 so it came with the 4.10s I swapped to the 4.56 using the stock carrier. not expecting to make this much power. My build was only suppose to be a heads and cam.

Cool all you need is the ring and pinion then, find any shops yet?

I'm curious, what kind of power are you making where the 4.56 is too much gear for the 1/4 mile? What are your mods? What size tire and brand were you using? I'm making 510 rwhp NA in my 04 and I love the 4.56's, they are just perfect for the 1/4 mile. I used the 29.5" tall M&H drag radial for years and now I'm using the M&H cheater slick which is 30" tall, and I go through the lights at 6150 rpm. My rev limiter has been bumped to 6,200 rpm though.

I'm curious, what kind of power are you making where the 4.56 is too much gear for the 1/4 mile? What are your mods? What size tire and brand were you using? I'm making 510 rwhp NA in my 04 and I love the 4.56's, they are just perfect for the 1/4 mile. I used the 29.5" tall M&H drag radial for years and now I'm using the M&H cheater slick which is 30" tall, and I go through the lights at 6150 rpm. My rev limiter has been bumped to 6,200 rpm though.

We made 700 whp and 800 ft lbs on a 200 shot. I run a 32 inch tall tire with the 4.56 gear.
With that set up we went 11.7 and it was a terrible pass. Bogged out of the hole. Had trouble finding third amd the nitrous reset itself every shift. It was an 11.7 at 122 and went through the traps right at the limiter

Obviously more then you ahahahahahah

Dom
Undefeated on the Internet

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back