Gen IV engine value/worth the time?

spitball52

Reaction score
Hi all, looking for some feedback on this. I recently was asked if i had interest in a gen 4 long block that was pulled with a rod knock. Engine is complete from throttle body boots to oil drain plug and has most accessories. I have read a couple threads about swapping gen 4 head on to the blocks in our trucks but seems really split on wether it's worth it. Looking for opinions on what this might be worth and what the best option would be for it (rebuild, part out, or use whatever I can and sell the rest). Thanks

If the price is right, might be worth it to modify the top end to fit. If you dont already have any head work done.

Did you happen to see if they had headers for it as well?

Not sure headers from a gen iv will work well on a truck

Last edited:
I looked into doing this for myself. Headers can be ordered from Belanger with the gen 4 flange. The idea is sound, the heads flow better. In my research a new cam was required to make the big gains. It looks like people who only did the heads and intake were a bit disappointed at the cost for gain.

I was thinking just for the flanges. Modifying some gen 3 headers might be a lot cheaper than buying new ones? Just an idea. From what I've looked into gen4 swaps can get costly.

Just has stock manifolds. Found a thread where someone tried this swap and seems that forced induction will ultimately be the go to. Still considering picking up for a random future project/garage ornament if I can pick it up for $1200 or less.

Just has stock manifolds. Found a thread where someone tried this swap and seems that forced induction will ultimately be the go to. Still considering picking up for a random future project/garage ornament if I can pick it up for $1200 or less.

If you get it for that or even $1500 it would be a great deal! Gen 5 guys are going thru motors like hot cakes and lots are looking to rebuild using the gen 4 blocks!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back