General maintenance

04RAMSRT10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

04 truck with 15,000 miles, just bought it yesterday. Even with the low miles, it is still almost 10 years old and all stock, down to the air filter!

What do you think maintenance wise I should start replacing due to age? Already ordered new air filter :) and will get an oil change, but what else?

Thanks

I'd start off with belt, rad hoses, oil&power steering lines(if not leaking yet they WILL leak soon). Can't think of what else. I have an 04 and so far thats all I have changed(except ps lines but they need it when I can get to it). You better get a us burnout vid on those old tires before you get fresh ones!

You need to fully forge your internals and add a twin turbo kit, and check your oil.

Valve Springs! At 1500 miles a year this truck has sat too much! Valve springs sitting in one position for extended periods isn't good for the spring steel. Wants to lose Memory:burnout:

Valve Springs! At 1500 miles a year this truck has sat too much! Valve springs sitting in one position for extended periods isn't good for the spring steel. Wants to lose Memory:burnout:

One time I sat too long also and my butt hurted for a week...but good call..;)

I would replace tensioner (maybe), serp belt, thermostat, rad hoses (Justin makes a great hard rad hose kit), oil, clutch fluid, diff oil, trans fluid, coolant.

If the truck is a QC adjust trans bands.

Like everyone else said, stretch the legs on that motor soon. It has been sitting way to long.

BIGGEST THING; if your tires are original, REPLACE THEM NOW. It's been happening lately people buying low mile trucks with good tread on original tires. They then blow out due to dry rot and you die or crash your baby. Don't do it! I'm not messing around.

New fluids all around, new belt, from what I've read check your crank bolt 04's are known to come loose from the factory

Oh and one thing that won't cost you a penny... get it on the Viper Truck Registry

Congrats on purchase? If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay? I have a deposit on an 04 with 61k, they are asking 20k. All stock with fresh clear coat. Sorry to jack your thread.

As others have said, all fluids, filters, and tires are a must. Generally the OEM Viper filters with Royal Purple seem to be best. Check your brakes, belts, hoses and spark plugs too.

Congrats on purchase? If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay? I have a deposit on an 04 with 61k, they are asking 20k. All stock with fresh clear coat. Sorry to jack your thread.

As others have said, all fluids, filters, and tires are a must. Generally the OEM Viper filters with Royal Purple seem to be best. Check your brakes, belts, hoses and spark plugs too.

I paid a few grand more than 20' but with 15k miles I think I got a fair price.

You will need all of these, plus one other thing. Another job to pay for all of it. Good Luck.

like ViperCLKGTR said check crank bolt mine backed out at 12000 miles & trashed my harmonic balancer & made my crank seal leak first thing i had to do to mine when i got it then oil cooler lines

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back