***Getting an R/C into the low 12s***

Ironman715

Reaction score
What does it take to get an 04 R/C into the 11's? More to the point what does it cost to RELIABLY get into the low 12's? DD friendly low 12's? Is this possible?

Thanks for your time and information.

'Moe

[emoji383][emoji383][emoji383][emoji383][emoji384][emoji385][emoji386][emoji387][emoji386][emoji385][emoji384][emoji383][emoji384][emoji384][emoji386][emoji387][emoji385][emoji385][emoji385][emoji385][emoji383][emoji383][emoji383][emoji383][emoji383][emoji383]

Moe, a RC will go low 12's with tires and enough weigh reduction. Because you wouldnt have to build more power to do this, you wouldn't sacrifice any reliability. Trainman and ArrestMeRED have both gone mid 11's with close to stock engines and drivetrains.

The next "easiest" way to go low 12's is with some spray and tires. Many here have had great success using nitrous on their trucks.

How much you wanna spend? Weight reduction and drag slicks are the cheapest quickest way to get there.

I'm not in the low 12s but I've spent minimal money to go high 12s. I have less than $1k in mods at this point.

So what should my Paxtonised truck do on street tyres then?

Several have gone low 12's on this setup. This is about as fast as you can co on the street tires, regardless of power setup. There have been sprayed trucks, Paxton trucks, Roe trucks, Procharged trucks, etc, that have all been low 12's on street tires.

Several have gone low 12's on this setup. This is about as fast as you can co on the street tires, regardless of power setup. There have been sprayed trucks, Paxton trucks, Roe trucks, Procharged trucks, etc, that have all been low 12's on street tires.

Didn't realise slicks would make such a difference .Need to get som and give it a go.

Didn't realise slicks would make such a difference .Need to get som and give it a go.
I'd have to check my record to be sure, but I think there have been 3 trucks go very high 11's on street tires. And they all worked very hard to get there. Many have have tried to go fast on street tires with little success.

My concern with spray is I feel its harsh on the engine with that sudden burst of heat etc...

These are low CR engines. Do they hold up to low boost ok on stock internals?

What would a "safe" shot of spray be on stock internals? 100 shot?

IS there any real serious ground to be gained with a FULL exhaust swap(headers, mids, free flowing mufflers) and a tune? Is there enough to be gained from a tune?

'Moe

My concern with spray is I feel its harsh on the engine with that sudden burst of heat etc...

IS there any real serious ground to be gained with a FULL exhaust swap(headers, mids, free flowing mufflers) and a tune? Is there enough to be gained from a tune?

'Moe

Nitrous, when properly tuned, is the safest power adder, IMO. Also, our engines seem to be extremely receptive to it.

Low boost levels are generally considered "ok" for stock internals.

In reality, it's not boost or spray that kills engines, it's generally tuning.

**edit** I should also add that I have never sprayed, nor boosted anything. I am merely regurgitating the information I've read during my time here.

Last edited:

'Moe

Full bolt ons with slicks and weight reduction will get you where you wanna be. Historically they don't handle boost well on stock internals, might have a better chance with it now since the tuning is better than it used to be. I spray a 200 shot on mine with stock internals and a mail order tune, setup on a progressive controller. Been 11.7's all motor and 10.8's spraying.

'Moe

Yes.

Belangers, ARH or B&B headers. A set of Mopars would work if you can find them.

A throttle body,Full exhaust and dyno/tune could easily net 50 horse to the wheels. imho . My truck WOKE up when I went did this.

If you're truck is a boosted application, the tune becomes more significant, and this should be almost first on your list, right after a full exhaust. A tune on a mild bolt on truck is worth about 25-30.

The only way into 11's on street tires on a stock bottom end is lots and lots of practice, but it can and has been done.

Also, even if you don't run slicks and are racing the truck frequently, a clutch upgrade should be in order.

Hope this helps, and this is a rough outline of what happens when modding. Results may/do vary from truck to truck.

-AJ

I know my truck isn't a RC but if I can get a QC to do 12.1's with bolt on's, you should have no problem with a RC.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back