"gold" head gaskets

spdrcrj

Reaction score
Anybody know how thick the Gold head gaskets are? I've heard they give a .5 bump in compression ratio. Are the Gold gaskets "cometic"? I'm refering to the head gaskets that Justin includes in his "upper gasket kit".

Last edited:
spdrcrj said:
Anybody know how thick the Gold head gaskets are? I've heard they give a .5 bump in compression ratio. Are the Gold gaskets "cometic"? I'm refering to the head gaskets that Justin includes in his "upper gasket kit".

Yes they are a Cometic style gasket (multi-layered). The gold gaskets provide just over 0.4 of a point increase and are .039" crushed.
And, a.f.a.i.k. the gold gaskets (new Viper engine) are now the only gaskets available. The black ones are obsolete.

Last edited:
rottenronnie said:
Yes they are a Cometic style gasket (multi-layered). The gold gaskets provide just over 0.4 of a point and are .039" crushed.
And, a.f.a.i.k. the gold gaskets (new Viper engine) are now the only gaskets available. The black ones are obsolete.
That was like a different language to me! Wow!

Thanks Ronnie.....still havent been able to find out the problem. New PCM didnt do anything to fix the problem either.

brokenarrow184 said:
That was like a different language to me! Wow!

It is based on an ancient Canadian dialect and measuring system known as Imperial, (and not Metric) ;)

Last edited:
spdrcrj said:
Thanks Ronnie.....still havent been able to find out the problem. New PCM didnt do anything to fix the problem either.

Sorry to hear that. You have a weird one.
I hope you find the trouble soon. Did you put the stock heads back on?

Last edited:
Picking through the issues on it now. The mid pipe is leaking at the collector, so we need to get that secured. At idle the truck is 10.0 a/f, but if you rev it to 2K it will hold 14.7 and run great. The passenger side header tubes are 360 degrees on the temp gun, while the driver side is only 150 degrees. That lead me to believe that after the lifter pump up it is holding the valves open and not allowing it to build cylinder pressure and heat. I'm measuring preload and checking valvetrain geometry today and going from there.

If that doesn't fix the issue, I'll put the stock heads back on it late in the week. If that fixes it, I think someone owes Jim some money. lol

John02SS said:
Picking through the issues on it now. The mid pipe is leaking at the collector, so we need to get that secured. At idle the truck is 10.0 a/f, but if you rev it to 2K it will hold 14.7 and run great. The passenger side header tubes are 360 degrees on the temp gun, while the driver side is only 150 degrees. That lead me to believe that after the lifter pump up it is holding the valves open and not allowing it to build cylinder pressure and heat. I'm measuring preload and checking valvetrain geometry today and going from there.

If that doesn't fix the issue, I'll put the stock heads back on it late in the week. If that fixes it, I think someone owes Jim some money. lol

FYI- There is .180" travel in the o.e.m. lifter. In my case a 1.5 turn preload (Jesel 1.7 roller rockers) put the preload adjustment right in the middle.
Hope that helps. An intake manifold/head port angle mismatch is still possible if everything else checked out o.k.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back