Got my SCT!

Ronin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to a very cool and smooth transaction with Black1/Jake I am the proud owner of a "recycled" SCT.

Much respect to Marty/KRC Performance, who immediately got back to me when I had some pre-purchase questions. That says a lot about him, 'cause even though he wrote the tunes for it (91 and 93 Octane) there wasn't any money in it for him, at least not right off the bat...

I'm BONE azz stock now, right down to the shitty stock drop in filter. That's all gonna change here shortly, but I figured I'd run the tune just for shits and giggles...

I loaded the 93 Octane program with ZERO problems.

First thing noticed was the improved throttle response. Not jumpy, jerky, or anything like that, must just have a nice tip-in programmed. Immediately after that I noticed the tranny was shifting much smoother, quicker and crisper. I took it pretty easy on it until it warmed up and surprise, both the oil and coolant temp looked like it dropped a solid 15 degrees (from the fan coming on earlier). Mind you, I still have the stock thermostat, so I'm sure the difference will be even more pronounced once I swap it out. Looks like it was right around 185 +/- degrees. It was fuggin' hot and humid here today (90+ for BOTH) so I thought that was a pretty good sign...

Finally made my first real mod!

Black1 said:
Glad you got it, Matty. :)

Thanks sir! I was actually pulling outta my driveway this A.M. when the FedEx truck showed up, I was like a kid at Christmas and my wife was laughing her azz off...

Ronin said:
Thanks sir! I was actually pulling outta my driveway this A.M. when the FedEx truck showed up, I was like a kid at Christmas and my wife was laughing her azz off...

LOL! :D Try hammering the throttle at a slow roll (8-10mph)...... ;) :burnout:

Awesome dude... Like already mentioned, you entered the slippery modding slope and it will be damn hard to slow your slide/roll.. OH YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.!

I should have done mine long ago (since I bought the tuner from Roe a month ago. Now that I have my wideband A/F ratio gauges installed I need to break down and finally implement the 93 tune.. I only went with the medium tune so far.. And I'm leaving to Norway again tomorrow so I guess I'll wait till I come back mid-August...

Venom Power said:
Awesome dude... Like already mentioned, you entered the slippery modding slope and it will be damn hard to slow your slide/roll.. OH YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.!

I should have done mine long ago (since I bought the tuner from Roe a month ago. Now that I have my wideband A/F ratio gauges installed I need to break down and finally implement the 93 tune.. I only went with the medium tune so far.. And I'm leaving to Norway again tomorrow so I guess I'll wait till I come back mid-August...

As Prof says, have a plan in mind and stick to it, and that's good advise. My plan is Bassani shorty headers with JMB high flow cat mid-pipes, and a custom Zoomers cat-back. Add a CAI (maybe a K&N drop-in temporarily) and 172 thermostat and that's a wrap. I'm also looking at adding a 3 gauge pillar with a wide band A/F and tranny temp (for, Gawd forbid towing, and just to keep an eye on things). Stinker's tranny kit is a must, and although I'm not planning on a massive increase in power, it's good insurance.

Baby steps for now, got some cosmetics, stereo, etc., plans too...

Sounds like a photo shoot day, 2 SRT8 Jeeps, 5 Rams, Shaq's car and the Challengers.

Ronin said:
I'm BONE azz stock now, right down to the shitty stock drop in filter. That's all gonna change here shortly, but I figured I'd run the tune just for shits and giggles...

I loaded the 93 Octane program with ZERO problems.

First thing noticed was the improved throttle response. Not jumpy, jerky, or anything like that, must just have a nice tip-in programmed. Immediately after that I noticed the tranny was shifting much smoother, quicker and crisper. I took it pretty easy on it until it warmed up and surprise, both the oil and coolant temp looked like it dropped a solid 15 degrees (from the fan coming on earlier). Mind you, I still have the stock thermostat, so I'm sure the difference will be even more pronounced once I swap it out. Looks like it was right around 185 +/- degrees. It was fuggin' hot and humid here today (90+ for BOTH) so I thought that was a pretty good sign...

Finally made my first real mod!

Are you able to get a 1st to 2nd bark when it upshifts now, or would you still need a shift kit?

Lottotruck said:
Are you able to get a 1st to 2nd bark when it upshifts now, or would you still need a shift kit?

I actually haven't hammered on it to much, either pre/post SCT. I do know that it chirped the tires in second on at least a couple of occasions prior to the SCT. Although I haven't done it yet since tuning, I'm sure it won't be a problem at all now...

I think that Stinker's tranny pack is mandatory for our trucks, even stock or mildly modded. Having somewhat of a diesel power background I know how adding a $500 tuner can lunch a $5K tranny in a matter of DAYS if beat on hard enough. HaulinAsp can tell you what even a mildly tweaked/tuned Cummins does to its tranny, which so happens to be the same one we (QC's) have...

Ronin said:
I actually haven't hammered on it to much, either pre/post SCT. I do know that it chirped the tires in second on at least a couple of occasions prior to the SCT. Although I haven't done it yet since tuning, I'm sure it won't be a problem at all now...

I think that Stinker's tranny pack is mandatory for our trucks, even stock or mildly modded. Having somewhat of a diesel power background I know how adding a $500 tuner can lunch a $5K tranny in a matter of DAYS if beat on hard enough. HaulinAsp can tell you what even a mildly tweaked/tuned Cummins does to its tranny, which so happens to be the same one we (QC's) have...

Never had a problem w/ my FORD SUPERDUTY....... :eek: :D :marchmellow: And I was running almost 1000FT/LBS with the SCT. :rock: :burnout:

Black1 said:
Never had a problem w/ my FORD SUPERDUTY....... :eek: :D :marchmellow: And I was running almost 1000FT/LBS with the SCT. :rock: :burnout:

My 6.0 diesel Excursion dyno'd @ about 550 RWHP and 800 rear wheel torque, prior to installing a FASS 150, so I'm pretty sure I'm on the far side of 600 HP right now and mid to high 800s torque (SCT-X2 with tunes by Eric @ Innovative Diesel). While the PSDs are usually the slowest of the Big Three diesels, the 5R110 (I think that's the number) auto tranny is very stout, and, properly maintained, will put up with a lot more abuse than the other trannys (even the beloved Allison). My diesel wrench said that it was rated at 500 HP full duty cycle for some ridiculous amount of mileage. No shit my tranny has never seen over 200 degrees under the "worse" conditions (6K+ trailer, Colorado Rockies, 90+ degrees, running the legal speed limit and maybe a little higher...you get the picture). The trade-off with the 6.0 PSDs is the head gasket. When I swapped out my turbo I also did H-11 headstuds so I'll NEVER have to worry about a blown gasket. Problem with the 6.0 is if the headgasket goes, you're looking at paying about as much for that as you would a tranny! You just can't win...

Love my diesel X. Never drove a Cummins until recently. I was extremely impressed (it was an '05) and if I'm ever in a position to need a monster diesel again, it will be a early '07 or earlier 5.9 Mega Cab dually. That'll pull a redwood outta the ground...

Sorry I went all diesel fag on my own thread...just couldn't help myself!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back