Great Danes

OCBob

VIPER POWERED
Reaction score
Well, we are thinking about getting another dog since Charlie is gone. I want a big dog and am leaning towards a Dane. I like the Irish Wolfhounds a lot too, but I'm worried that with all the stickers and shit in our yard it might not be good with their coat.

I'm trying to decide whether to try to find a puppy or do a rescue. Any suggestions? Keep in mind we have young kids. Anybody know any good breeders or rescues in SoCal?

I would really like to find a blue, if I can't I'd probably want a harlequin. And I want one who comes for a big line, no sense in having a Dane if he isn't gonna be a giant. ;)

I have never had a Dane, but I have had a Saint Bernard and they are a lot of fun.

Bill.

Did you consider a pet Timber wolf ---Big and friendly if trained correctly...OH DIDN'T SEE THE KIDS PART FORGET THAT IDEA..... You could always round up the yard and keep the sticker to a minimum --The shit though will be a different story...Big dogs tend to make a lot of that:D

OCBob said:
Well, we are thinking about getting another dog since Charlie is gone. I want a big dog and am leaning towards a Dane. I like the Irish Wolfhounds a lot too, but I'm worried that with all the stickers and shit in our yard it might not be good with their coat.

I'm trying to decide whether to try to find a puppy or do a rescue. Any suggestions? Keep in mind we have young kids. Anybody know any good breeders or rescues in SoCal?

I would really like to find a blue, if I can't I'd probably want a harlequin. And I want one who comes for a big line, no sense in having a Dane if he isn't gonna be a giant. ;)

Dont know any bredders off hand. But man i love my Dane to death. Got her when i was in college. She is now 6yrs old this yeah. The best dog i ever had. Funny as a puppy because they are clumsy until they get a lil bigger. They are good with kids etc. The only thing you have to do is teach them not to jump on people because of their size. Oh and their tail is also a weapon since its like a whip then they trun close by you. lol. Very lovable dogs and mines have that protective role down too.:rock: :rock: I have what they call a mis-marking. My dane is Fawn and white. You know how a Boston Terrior looks. Black and white. Well she is like that but Fawn and white. I say go with the Dane instead of the wolfhound.

We had a great dane when we were kids they are the best like gentle giants. Keep in mind my mother also had a yorkie that used to play all the time and never hurt. .but the down side they have alot of health problems we got it from a top breeder and had to put her down at 3 years ..

i bought mine from BigSkyDanes. shes a Fawn color. Annie is about the sweetest dog ive ever had. only thing ive seen is she doesnt care for other female dogs or cats. just last night a stray female cat came into the yard and she got a hold of it. Cat was going everywhere. she's the same way with female dogs too. other than that she a big lap dog...lol if you do get one make sure and watch for signs of aggression. when they get older they are a handful to control just because of their size. leash train them early...like he said, the tail is a weapon especially when it hits you in the nuts

Last edited:
found this on rescue danes.
State Rescues
California
Great Dane Club of San Diego
Rene Kiel
[email protected]
760-739-1450
http://www.gdcsd.org/

Donna Hirtriter
[email protected]">[email protected]
760-743-6874

Great Dane Club of California
Sally Haas
818-885-7208

Judy Murdock
951-780-2293

Great Dane Rescue of Northern California, Inc.

Colleen Leahy
916-652-6444

Betty Thomas

I love my Dane to death! She is eight years old and is very good around my nine month old daughter. If you look at my older post The dog house you will see how much I think of my dog.

big dogs do not live long on average. think i saw 6-8 yeah norm? thats what stopped me from getting one. 16 years is what i want out of a dog.
60-100LBS will live that long, depending on breed.

my parents have one very gentle with kids smart to, needs alot of room to run, he plays great with my chocolate lab, over all great dog but you do have a few dietary things to watch for, bloat and twisting stomach issue that can kill them but take care of them and they are a great pet

scoobert said:
big dogs do not live long on average. think i saw 6-8 yeah norm? thats what stopped me from getting one. 16 years is what i want out of a dog.
60-100LBS will live that long, depending on breed.
A lot of it depends on the breeding. Most bulldogs are lucky to see much past 5 years, mine just died at 12. But yes, they do typically have shorter life spans, which does suck.

RB04 said:
my parents have one very gentle with kids smart to, needs alot of room to run, he plays great with my chocolate lab, over all great dog but you do have a few dietary things to watch for, bloat and twisting stomach issue that can kill them but take care of them and they are a great pet
Got the room, 3/4 of an acre here and it's wide open.

eddie102870 said:
your welcome i found a blue female in andalusia,al for 1600.00:D i've always wanted a blue dobie
I sent out a few emails to breeders and had one call me right back. Talked to her for a good half hour. She cautioned me away from the blues, told me that they are typically smaller and have a higher risk of health issues due to inbreeding and linebreeding. She only had one pup right now, a brindle male, but she said she is probably going to keep him for show and stud. She just imported him from Finland. Said if she decides to do a co-owner thing she'd let me know. She also said that she would ask around for me and see what she can find and that she wouldn't even put me in contact with anyone that isn't reputable or who doesn't do extensive health checks on the parents.

Great Danes rock! :rock: A LEO buddy of mine has two. We always rag on him because he's 5'4" tall.... we ask him if he rides them to work. :D :D :D But, they are great dogs (both grey/blue? females). I can't get over the size of their paws. :eek: Those paws have to be 8" wide or so. God damn horses. :elefant:

I don't know what the hell our dog here is. Her name is Russia, and she kinda looks like a lab, but about twice the size with a bushy tail. :dontknow: She's not as big as a Dane, but close. Anyone have any idea what she is??? :eek: I was thinking she has some Great Pyrenees in her.....

Attachments

• 100_3193.JPG
    100_3193.JPG
    954.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
My first Dane was from a rescue he was around two years old a he was a great dog. It would be good if you checked a rescue first the puppies people sell will find a home but the ones in a rescue need a home. It's sad to see all of the dogs people gave up.

rhino75 said:
My first Dane was from a rescue he was around two years old a he was a great dog. It would be good if you checked a rescue first the puppies people sell will find a home but the ones in a rescue need a home. It's sad to see all of the dogs people gave up.
Thought about going the rescue route. There's a couple things pushing me towards a pup though. First is just the fun factor, there's nothing like a puppy. But the big thing is the kids. The twins are 5 and the oldest boy is 9. I figure with a pup they will sort of grow up together, and the dog will know it's boundaries around the kids and we won't have to worry at all. Plus I'm thinking that if I just bring home a dog that weighs a buck and a half the kids will likely be a bit intimidated by the dog and might never really bond.

But I have thought about getting a pup now and after it grows up looking into adding a second rescue dog.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back