Gummy crap in Coolant!

sinus19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the truck was running a little hotter than usual all week. I finally got a chance to take a look and found bunch of small Gummy/mushy black crap ALL OVER inside of the reservoir and radiator! what the hell is it? there is no white smoke from the tail pipe and no bubbling in the reservoir. This mushy crap is not oily either. Coolant was a little low. I reeeeeeally dont wanna hear/read the word "HEAD GASKET" coming out you guys ha.. but seriously im kinda freaking out about it.

so the truck was running a little hotter than usual all week. I finally got a chance to take a look and found bunch of small Gummy/mushy black crap ALL OVER inside of the reservoir and radiator! what the hell is it? there is no white smoke from the tail pipe and no bubbling in the reservoir. This mushy crap is not oily either. Coolant was a little low. I reeeeeeally dont wanna hear/read the word "HEAD GASKET" coming out you guys ha.. but seriously im kinda freaking out about it.

Man that's a tough one to call. Could be some off the shelf gunk that didn't mix or wrong coolant that is coagulating.

Definitely head gasket.

Jk. Hopefully a bad mix of coolants. Id flush it all and do fresh to start.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

Sounds like it is way over due for a cooling system service. Now is a good time to replace all the 10 year old hoses and thermostat.
1. Drain the crap coolant
2. Add flush with water bleeding all the air out.
3. Drive it a little too circulate everything. Make sure you don't over heat it.
4. Let it cool and drain the system.
5. Remove all the hoses & thermostat. Use them to help with #6 before discarding.
6. Take a garden hose and spray water into the heater core, radiator & engine back flushing them. Then let everything drain.
7. Put on the new hoses & thermostat.
8. Fill with about 2 gallons of 100% Zerex G-05 coolant. Go 50/50 for the rest of the fill. With the water left in the block that should give you a good mix.
9. Clean out the overflow bottle. Fill with 50/50.
10. Check for a head gasket leak.

Thanks guys, it does sound like it could be due to mixing coolants. Because i remember at one point i mixed green with orange.
The motor has 28k miles (rebuilt) but the rest has 102k. I used DEXCOOL on the first crank.
I called my local speed shop and they gonna flush the system. Our motors are supposed to use DEXCOOL right?

Last edited:
Oh yeah, definitely coolant mixed. Get that flushed now before it completely blocks up the heater core and radiator.

Thanks guys, it does sound like it could be due to mixing coolants. Because i remember at one point i mixed green with orange.
The motor has 28k miles (rebuilt) but the rest has 102k. I used DEXCOOL on the first crank.
I called my local speed shop and they gonna flush the system. Our motors are supposed to use DEXCOOL right?

I use Mopar but as long as it's G-05 you're good.

Sounds like it is way over due for a cooling system service. Now is a good time to replace all the 10 year old hoses and thermostat.
1. Drain the crap coolant
2. Add flush with water bleeding all the air out.
3. Drive it a little too circulate everything. Make sure you don't over heat it.
4. Let it cool and drain the system.
5. Remove all the hoses & thermostat. Use them to help with #6 before discarding.
6. Take a garden hose and spray water into the heater core, radiator & engine back flushing them. Then let everything drain.
7. Put on the new hoses & thermostat.
8. Fill with about 2 gallons of 100% Zerex G-05 coolant. Go 50/50 for the rest of the fill. With the water left in the block that should give you a good mix.
9. Clean out the overflow bottle. Fill with 50/50.
10. Check for a head gasket leak.

I also reverse flush the radiator and heater core. your truck will thank you later.

thanks guys for the input. I'll let the guy know to make sure they use Zerex G-05 coolant.

Make sure heater is turned on during any flushing or refilling while circulating with engine running.

heard back from the shop. They sent out the Radiator for a pressure test\flush and found a small crack (thats why coolant was low.) They have most of the gunk out of the motor. I took a look and damn, it was nasty as hell. Coolant was Diff. mixed. the color was green and orange... they dinked me with $360, yea ive learned my lesson! DO NOT MIX COOLANTS!

No death cool. Google or You tube it.
That is for GM junk. Lol
I made that mistake years ago. Luckily it was on my Jeep. Nothing bad happened but I changed it out after realizing it was the wrong stuff.

No death cool. Google or You tube it.
That is for GM junk. Lol
I made that mistake years ago. Luckily it was on my Jeep. Nothing bad happened but I changed it out after realizing it was the wrong stuff.

What do you run instead?

Got the truck back... She no longer gets hot. I think im good now!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back