Half shafts???

Are you talking about the axles, or driveshaft? pople may be confusing the halfshafts with the vipers, or vettes:dontknow:

Well dangit, the dealer already charged me for replacing all five halfshafts when I broke my rearend!!! There are five halfshafts on a V-10, right? one half per pair of cylinders? Boy, the dealer also said I was lucky he caught it in time that I need a new valve body for my six-speed. Man this truck is expensive. Already dropped 6K in repairs this week. And last week it was a bad blow-off valve on my intake manifold. Good thing I have this dealer lookin out for me. He even spotted how dark and oily my K&N air filter was. Replaced it with a complimentary brand new, clean, white paper filter!!! What a nice bunch of fellas!! What would I do without them?:dontknow: :D

Greg

well, its true I didn't think about the difference between my truck and my Viper. Thats one of the most important things to change if your going to drag the Viper and I wondered why nobody had mentioned anything about it. The funniest part is that the "Viper tech" at the dealer here in Vegas said he would "look into it" when I asked him the same question. I've never had a "race" truck before so give me a minute to look stupid.

VegasViper said:
well, its true I didn't think about the difference between my truck and my Viper. Thats one of the most important things to change if your going to drag the Viper and I wondered why nobody had mentioned anything about it. The funniest part is that the "Viper tech" at the dealer here in Vegas said he would "look into it" when I asked him the same question. I've never had a "race" truck before so give me a minute to look stupid.

all good man.....Blake Wilder has been at this over a year and is on his 3rd motor....he will read you first post and try to order half shafts for his truck.....:D

The problem Vegas is with the entire rear axle, the only way to get decent rubber on is to shave the calipers. I think FstJack has changed the entire rear axle to accomidate the 40 spline axles I think now , cant remember exactly.

VegasViper said:

Don't feel bad Vegas, that's how we all learn. I will try to post a couple pictures later today when I get home to show the differences in the rear ends.

The short version is that in your viper the third member, pumpkin, differential housing (I know, lots of names for the same thing) is solid mounted to the frame of the car. It then has Half Shafts (think of them as small drive shafts) that send the power to the wheels. In the truck the rear end is one solid unit with the axles contained within the rear end housing.

Vegas,

What you need depends on what how fast=quick you want to go. There many levels of mods to the rear end depending what your goal is. If you can give us some idae of what your goals are or are planning to do it would be helpful.

My goal was just to make sure I am not going to have a problem when drag racing. I don't want shit to brake. I don't really want to get into grinding or shaving or changing too much on the truck that I can't easily undo.

Buy Cal-Tracs, some good adjustable drag shocks, and a line lock. Take it from a guy who grenaded his stock rear with a couple of wheel hop-inducing passes!!!

Greg

I know a guy who is prototyping a rear for the Viper incl half shafts etc..I asked him to look at my truck to see if he could put one in there..Dunno if its possible but he says probly could do it. Supposedly its built for up to 800hp..Will try to get some pics next time I go to see him..The protoype is all polished aluminum I think..light, strong, etc. Dunno why I woul want to do it other than it would be different..

mauiSRT/10 said:
Wheel hop inducing passes? What do you mean?

patrick

I mean I had some major wheel hop while taking my totally stock truck to a 13.4 pass. I was running drag radials, and when they stuck to the track and I tried to launch at just 1300-1700 RPM, the truck shook and shuddered like it was gonna shake apart. When using anything substantially stickier than the stock tires, I definitely recommend Cal-Tracs to help plant the rear. The stock leaf springs wrap up and cause the rear tires to bounce like crazy. That caused me to break several teeth off the spider gears in my diff. It doesn't happen every time, and it doesn't happen to everyone, but I somehow managed to be the lucky winner of the broken rear lottery!!!

$400 for Cal-Tracs is hell of a lot cheaper than $1400 for a new rearend!!! Cheap insurance if you ask me if you plan to race with anything other than the stock street tires on the truck.

Greg

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back