Hard time putting my 04 Rc into gear

Viperpwrd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes i have a problem getting my 04 Rc into gear and also sometimes it makes a pretty noticable bang when i put it into reverse and ideas on what could be the problem... Im at 72k

Is it every gear or only some of them? When is the last time you flushed and bled the clutch hydraulics?

bleed replace the fluid, if that doesn't do it, double check clutch life , if that's good more than likely need a trans rebuild with new brass instead of plastic retainors on the shift forks

wait a minute!... i had the same issues. I tried to bleed the clutch but that didnt help. Found out through some Diagnostics that the Master was at fault. Replaced it and i was back up and running. 1 week later i had the same issues again! This time the pressure plate bolts came loose. tighten them back up and Wa-lah i was back in action slamin them gears lol.

Drive over some rough/bumpy road (Pavement) and listen closely as you tap the gas every so often. If you here something banging, could be loose pressure plate. Thats how i knew something had to be loose that kept me from shifting. If not than yes, probably worn clutch or Master or worse.... The Tranny.

oh and P.S... when the Master was worn out. My Pedal never soften, it still felt the same. Disconnect the line from the Trans and then step on your clutch. If its stiff as hell, than its good. If not, than its the Master.

Last edited:
first thing,Your girlfriend needs to be in a skirt:) get her to push the clutch to the floor and hold it there. you crawl under the truck and loosen the bleed nipple. make sure you have a bucket under it. watch the black fluid run into the bucket. once it stops tighten the nipple and have her let the clutch go. you then need to refill the master cylinder with oil. she can then push the clutch to the floor again and hold it. you will return to loosen the nipple and let the fluid run into the bucket again. close the nipple before she lets the clutch up! Continue the filling of the reservoir and bleeding until the oil comes out clean.

But if I'm under the truck, what good is her wearing a skirt. ......

great view when you roll out from under the truck and tell her to press or release the clutch. :D

Our clutch system is a little tough on clutch fluid. My Ducati's and Aprilia's were the same. With all the fluid would get contaminated rather quickly. Like my motorcycles I started swapping out the resv fluid at each oil change. 150K miles later my mstr finally quit. Replaced with the Viper version...still replace the fluid every oil change. Takes all of 40 seconds.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back