Has anyone tried this??

Tito#14SRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was a bit bored today I have had B&M Shifter also the Gen 1 JTS Shifter and I had my Stock Hurst laying around went ahead and cut it down made it about the same length or a bit shorter on a Gen 1 or Gen 2 JTS shifter at its lowest point.

Gonna install it back on see how it feels & shifts, it should be very quite for sure no rattle noise.

What do you guys think??:dontknow:
2012-10-10120017.jpg

2012-10-10115908.jpg

2012-10-10183514.jpg

Cool. Post pictures when you get it installed. If you don't like it, I might be interested in it. I've thought about doing something similar to mine for awhile.

Cool. Post pictures when you get it installed. If you don't like it, I might be interested in it. I've thought about doing something similar to mine for awhile.

ok will do and if I end up keeping it I can maybe do this same mod on your stocker. Just ship it to me and I can ship back to you next day:rock:

Anyone interested in a Gen 1 Shifter??

I just got a b&m shifter and a tmw weighted shift knob....I have 0 rattle.....

By rattle you will get more from a JTS venom IMO because its all metal no rubber boot its all metal to metal contact.

As far as B&M I never really got any rattle noise except every now and then at WOT and I mean high in rpm range I would get a bit.

The stocker I know never gave and noise and its HURST very well known brand only downside was its very tall shilfter for those that want the short feel.

with that said im not trying to take anything away from either B&M or JTS shifter they are GREAT shifters!

I just was bored and did this to my stock one just because and Imma slap it on there as soon as I get a chance to see how it feels and shifts being shorter.

The biggest issue with the OEM shifter is the crappy way it goes into 3rd. All thru the 60's & 70's the 1st thing I would do with a new vehicle was put in a Hurst Shifter and they were always great. When I bought my truck I never gave the shifter a 2nd thought until I drove it the 1st time. Right then and there I knew this was not the best shifter that Hurst had ever made.

My stock shifter has a bit of rattle.. drives me nuts! Time for an upgrade.

I did the same thing to my stock shifter. It shortened the throw but still felt horrible. Removing the rubber dampener improved the feel some. Now I'm running an X-Metal with the shortened stock handle flipped so it angles towards the driver and there is no comparison.

Gen 2 is better but I took the rubber piece off center of stock shifter and put it on my gen 2 and I get no noise

Last edited:
I gotta do something with my Gen 1 shifter as well. The damn thing rattles so bad it sounds like she's going to come apart!! :dontknow: I think I'm either going to make a rubber gasket to fit between the metal or maybe mod my stock Hurst as you did Tito!!! Nice Work!!! :rock:

I gotta do something with my Gen 1 shifter as well. The damn thing rattles so bad it sounds like she's going to come apart!! :dontknow: I think I'm either going to make a rubber gasket to fit between the metal or maybe mod my stock Hurst as you did Tito!!! Nice Work!!! :rock:

I havnt got around to install the stock shorter shifter yet..I currently have the Gen 1 Shifter in my truck now

Tito man just go with the Gen 2. You'll like it. Drive mine the next time I see you and you'll see.

gen II shifter

I was a bit bored today I have had B&M Shifter also the Gen 1 JTS Shifter and I had my Stock Hurst laying around went ahead and cut it down made it about the same length or a bit shorter on a Gen 1 or Gen 2 JTS shifter at its lowest point.

Gonna install it back on see how it feels & shifts, it should be very quite for sure no rattle noise.

What do you guys think??:dontknow:
2012-10-10120017.jpg

2012-10-10115908.jpg

2012-10-10183514.jpg

anyone know what the the threads are on the jts genII shifter is? and i see it comes unfinished .. has anyone chromed theres? what finish would be the best? thanks

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back