Having ACC belt problems

BigDave1970

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I am asking the club for help once more. I just recently changed out the original accessory belt (I have approx. 18,000 miles on the truck). Since the change out I have tore up 2 belts. One had about 50 miles on it, the other only about 5 miles. Only thing i did besides messing with the Tensioner pulley was I stripped the paint off of the water pump pulley and the guide pulley because it was squelling horribly. I figured that was where I was getting the slipage. Has anyone encountered this problem before? I am using factory belts, ordered through my local Dodge dealer. Any insight as to what might be causing this would be greatly appreciated!!! :dontknow: :toilet: :confused: :banghead:

i don't have my truck here to check, but those two pulley's you stripped - do they run against the back of the belt & is that where it wore out ?
i don't know that stripping those pulley's was the right thing to do.... :dontknow:
replacing the belt on mine took care of the last belt squeaker i had....... :)

i got one from napa when i was na and it sropped squealing

BigDave1970 said:
Ok guys, I am asking the club for help once more. I just recently changed out the original accessory belt (I have approx. 18,000 miles on the truck). Since the change out I have tore up 2 belts. One had about 50 miles on it, the other only about 5 miles. Only thing i did besides messing with the Tensioner pulley was I stripped the paint off of the water pump pulley and the guide pulley because it was squelling horribly. I figured that was where I was getting the slipage. Has anyone encountered this problem before? I am using factory belts, ordered through my local Dodge dealer. Any insight as to what might be causing this would be greatly appreciated!!! :dontknow: :toilet: :confused: :banghead:
If you trashed a belt that fast, I will bet good money that the problem is
either A. bad bearing in one of the pulleys/acc's. or B. one (or more) of
your pulleys/acc's is out of alignment. Please don't ask how I know this.:D

P.S. Forgot to mention Worn out/damaged tensioner.

Last edited:
moparracing said:
i don't have my truck here to check, but those two pulley's you stripped - do they run against the back of the belt & is that where it wore out ?
i don't know that stripping those pulley's was the right thing to do.... :dontknow:
replacing the belt on mine took care of the last belt squeaker i had....... :)

The smooth pulleys do run on the backside of the belt. The squeeling went away after i replaced the first one.

BigDave1970 said:
The smooth pulleys do run on the backside of the belt.
my point exactly....... after looking under the hood, the two pulley's you stripped were the smooth ones that run on the back of the belt........:confused:
if the back of the belt is what's shreading, you have your answer...... if not, i'd take the suggestion from an earlier post about the tensioner arm &/or puley bearings.......

Back