Hawaiian Earthquakes...

Glad you are ok Patrick ;) Earthquakes are no fun:(

You could always blame the earthquake on the North Korean's nuclear test.....

mmmmtorque said:
Glad you are ok Patrick ;) Earthquakes are no fun:(

I'm also glad you're ok, Patrick. I have distant relatives who live on Maui and assume they are also well, since I haven't heard any reports to the contrary.

FWIW, I live in San Francisco and have lived through many quakes, including numerous 3-4's (you really don't notice anything lower), a couple of 5-6's and the 7.1 in 1989. Quakes may be no fun, but they don't happen often, they don't last long and, if you live on bedrock or in a properly constructed home or structure, almost everyone survives them.

In 1989, around 63 people out of about 5 million (at the time) in the SF Bay Area reportedly died from the Loma Prieta quake. That's no comfort to the families of those who died, but the fatality rate was extremely small given the density of the population and has a lot to do w/the quality of construction and the building codes here. The recent quake in Hawaii is a case in point -- no one died.

Fataility rates in quakes rise in areas w/stone & brick construction w/o proper building codes, particularly in the China, the Middle East and Central & South America, but these high fatality quakes tend to be the exception rather than the rule.

Can't say the same for a major flood, tornedo or hurricane. Given the high frequency and the apparently high fatality rate of these other natural disasters, I'll take an earthquake any day.

But, if anyone reading this thinks that he or she might want to move to San Francisco, just remember how really TERRIFYING quakes are!!!!

It's way too crowded here already. ;)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back