head install

spdrcrj

Reaction score
Well.....despite never doing engine work other than headers, I tackled the ported head install today. From the time I pulled into the bay at the auto hobby shop till I left, it was 6 hours. Got everything off, cleaned the block, got the new heads on and torqued down. A friend of mine was helping me who had never done engine work before either. I'm pretty happy that I got so much done in such little time. Finishing up tomorrow. Looks like the hardest part will be remembering what hose goes where and making sure everything is hooked up. Also, installed a 170 thermostat today too. While the plugs are out, bought some new ones that I'll index thanks to a suggestion by Jeff Boyette.

spdrcrj said:
Well.....despite never doing engine work other than headers, I tackled the ported head install today. From the time I pulled into the bay at the auto hobby shop till I left, it was 6 hours. Got everything off, cleaned the block, got the new heads on and torqued down. A friend of mine was helping me who had never done engine work before either. I'm pretty happy that I got so much done in such little time. Finishing up tomorrow. Looks like the hardest part will be remembering what hose goes where and making sure everything is hooked up. Also, installed a 170 thermostat today too. While the plugs are out, bought some new ones that I'll index thanks to a suggestion by Jeff Boyette.

Glad it worked out well for ya. Next you can tackle a cam swap to take advantage of the heads! Be prepared for more than 6 hours though...
You can do some dyno pulls now to see if you need to retune with the deep breathers.
Yup, point the electrode between 10 and 2 o'clock and you should be good to go; Those o.e.m. chambers
can use all the help they can get.

Ron

Last edited:
Between 10 and 2, thank you. I still have to install the rockers, intake manifold, intake, and shorties but I think I can get all that done in 7 hours. I'm hoping Sean can get me in on the 8th for a dyno tune. If not, maybe the 15th.

spdrcrj said:
Between 10 and 2, thank you. I still have to install the rockers, intake manifold, intake, and shorties but I think I can get all that done in 7 hours. I'm hoping Sean can get me in on the 8th for a dyno tune. If not, maybe the 15th.

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7915&highlight=indexing

Check out information in the above post that came up a while back, after I received some private emails.

Ron

Last edited:
LOL....we're on the same track. I did a search and read that thread about 20 mins ago after Jeff told me about indexing. I bought 15 stock spark plugs, I think they'll work.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back