Header Problem

Try a longer bolt. The holes are usually deeper than the bolts that are used.

Another type of thread repair is a helicoil. Either one should be available at a good parts store such as Napa or even Ace Hardware. Another good source is Grainger or similiar type place.

sleepersrt10 said:
Another type of thread repair is a helicoil. Either one should be available at a good parts store such as Napa or even Ace Hardware. Another good source is Grainger or similiar type place.

yes a helicoil should have been used by your shop to fix those threads first before putting the header back on... i just looked at my truck and there is lots of room in there to do it so head removal shouldn't be needed, especially since the bolt isn't broke off in the head.....i've installed a few helicoils and all that happens is you drill the existing hole bigger, tap new threads, thread in the new helicoil and then you can use your original bolt to slap it back together.....

King said:
where do you get that nutsert

you need to find out what size the bolt is and then get a time cert kit for that size. also need to buy the exact drill bit the kit asks for. You can find the kits on ebay usually for 20 bucks and get the drill bit for 10 bucks or so.

Look on youtube for vids on how to perform procedure

blackviper said:
Don't use a helicoil, use a timesert instead.

http://www.timesert.com/

dont use helicoil on aluminum never never never ,,,as he says ,,,once you use a helicoil on aluminum you will never get bolt out again ,,,we wont do this on tooling molds made of aluminum either ,,,

works good when you first do it ,but when it gets hot you are swelling a aluminum head with a stainless steel threaded insert ,,,that bolt will never come out again without pulling and stripping out thread and insert then you end up with a bigger screwed up hole ,,,timesert all the way ,,or you can go to next size thread and drill and tap it ,,,with it being last hole on head it will be easier to drill out to next size and tap it ,,,you can do it with head still on if you have access to a right angle drill head and a short drill bit

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who replied, was out of town but kept up on the replies, just haven't responded till now. Monday i'm off to see what I can do, starting with the easiest to the dreaded hard way. Again thanks again to all, this forum is the best :)

In my experience aluminum should be drilled and retapped. Have to be careful with heads...space wise. otherwise I'd only use a nutsert...never a helicoil in aluminum.

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back