Header/Steering Problem

ScottVa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed Billy Boat headers on an 04 and now the steering knuckle/u-joint is hitting one of the header pipes. The truck won't steer correctly. Any suggestions? HELP!!

um stupid questions but are the headers lined up and installed correctly....has you truck ever been in a accident?

Troy, no accidents and the headers installed correctly and easily. I searched the forum and saw no posts relating to this problem. I feel I am screwed royally but thought I would ask here first.

I would post a few good pics. This way maybe someone sees something that you do not.
Last night I saw Tito#14SRT CE. I believe he said his has B&B headers. I even made a comment on how close they come to the steering, but his still had a gap and didnt hit.

No maybe not...there has to be something weird.....How much is it hitting by? Barely? What kind of gaskets did you use? Post a few pics at different angles.....I'm new to the 10's but this sounds like a typical fittiment issue....

is there a part # or something one it for one to tell the difference?

With B@B they build to order these days, they dont shelf any parts for the srt anymore, so I doubt they take the time to stamp anything they send out.

best thing for him to do is get with whom he bought the headers, ask them, if its a vendor they should know what they are for
if individual, well then buyer beware.

but basically all one could do at this point is to indent the header, some may say its not the thing to do,and it hurts hp, but in reality, its not gonna hinder hp that much, it all depends on how much modificton it would need.

Thanks guys for the help. Moparracing, I appreciate the picture. You have tons of clearance compared to mine, needless to say. I might be able to grind the corners of that knuckle down enough to get clearance. Then I have the problem of the bolt head making clearance which has me stumped. Stink, thanks for the header denting idea. I may look into that as well. thanks again, guys.

ScottVa said:
Thanks guys for the help. Moparracing, I appreciate the picture. You have tons of clearance compared to mine, needless to say. I might be able to grind the corners of that knuckle down enough to get clearance. Then I have the problem of the bolt head making clearance which has me stumped. Stink, thanks for the header denting idea. I may look into that as well. thanks again, guys.

WOOOOO dont grind the steering shalf... NOO That shaft is your olny connection to you steering your tires or keeping them going straight. I wouldnt want that shalf breaking at 100 mph ... either call the place you bought them from and get the correct ones or dimple the header...
Its simple to do just do go hitting it.. torch the area to a nice red color and take a ballpen hammer with the round end and hit it with another hammer...... with the round ballpen end you will get a nice shape it wont look all beat up Please dont grind that shalft

I agree ----Don't grind the steering shaft...

Is it that simple with him already having them jet hot coated? Wouldnt that mess up the coating?

hcetzneb said:
WOOOOO dont grind the steering shalf... NOO That shaft is your olny connection to you steering your tires or keeping them going straight. I wouldnt want that shalf breaking at 100 mph ... either call the place you bought them from and get the correct ones or dimple the header...
Its simple to do just do go hitting it.. torch the area to a nice red color and take a ballpen hammer with the round end and hit it with another hammer...... with the round ballpen end you will get a nice shape it wont look all beat up Please dont grind that shalft

IF you hit one hammer with another Please make sure you have safety glasses on. You are hitting one Case Hardened hammer with another, if one of them chips, it comes off like a bullet and will go into the skin... Don't need to ask how I know...

If you have a Round Head Metal Dolly it is best to use it and hit it with a hammer.... :) Just a safety note....

And in keeping with all safety rules.... Make sure you disconnect the Battery :D

As suggested, don't grind the steering knuckle or bolts to create clearance. Did you purchase the headers from B&B or a private party? Before indenting, I'd try getting the right parts first...Sorry, I see no sense in spending a grand plus on a set of headers only to "modify" them to make them fit right.

Guys, I just wanted to post a picture for information purposes should anyone else have the same trouble. The collar on the steering coupler is making contact on the edges where you can see the removed paint. This is minor contact with the hard contact being made by the bolt head. The contact is on the tube and not touching the plate. Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Header Woes.JPG
    Header Woes.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 117

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back