Heading to the Sand Box

mccubbinsjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got the opportunity to go to Afghanistan for a year so I took it. Im packing up the house and moving the wife to Alabama to save money and rent the house in Cali out while were gone.

Heres a ? for ya.

Do you think it would be cheaper (gas wise) to drive the truck and a 06 BMW 330i across country to Al, or..... haul the car on a dolly with the truck?

Haul. I learned the truck wont even fit on a Budget supercarrier (the largest rental car trailer)

Good luck and be safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haul. I learned the truck wont even fit on a Budget supercarrier (the largest rental car trailer)
That's strange, they fit on a uhual trailer, 79" fender to fender

I meant that I would use the truck and haul the BMW on a UHAUL dolly.
:rock:Not put the truck on a dolly.

Pull the Beemer, figure 10mpg pulling the BMW for 1500miles =150gals
Drive the BMW at 20mpg=75gals then the truck at 15mpg=100 for a total of 175 driving separate, I might be way off on the mileage your cars get though.

Be safe over there man, military or private contractor?

2nd the TMO option. Be safe out there, get some trigger time and don't trust any of those "translators". Remember be sensitive to their culture and be polite, but have a plan to kill all of them.

Semper Fi

2nd the TMO option. Be safe out there, get some trigger time and don't trust any of those "translators". Remember be sensitive to their culture and be polite, but have a plan to kill all of them.

Semper Fi

Haha hell yea

and don't trust any of those "translators".

Second that, don't trust anyone besides your fellow brothers over there. My Father lost a very close friend when the galley were they had hired locals to help out at on base was hit by a few suicide bombers that worked there. Especially with all the news lately of their troops we are training turning around and shooting the team training them.

My Dad was there a few years back said it's Book of Eli but more uncivilized.

TMO will not ship any possessions for family during a deployment. Only for a Permanent Change of Station. Hes paying out of pocket for this move.

I was weighing my options when i moved as well. I mentioned it because you may want to save the mileage and just rent a one way moving truck to haul it and your belongings. I had a Cadillac SRX and my Srt. Uhaul will not rent you the the trailer without a VIN the dodge ram is too heavy for the weight rating of their largest hauler. Therefore, the uhaul movers insurance and your own auto insurance will not cover any damage! Uhaul ask for the VIN of the car you are trying to haul, and both my SRX and the SRT were to heavy for the weight capacity. Sure the truck would fit, but if anything happend on my trip across the country, uhaul wouldnt have paid, and my insurance wouldnt have paid, and it would be an inevitable ticket. Additionally when driving I-95 or I-40, some states require you drive through the weigh stations if you are hauling or on a rental, and you can be randomly audited for your paperwork. Show them the wrong year make model and VIN for the vehicle on your trailer, and they will ticket you and not let you leave with it loaded. Then you have 3 different vehicles beside the road and 2 drivers. Good luck figuring that **** out 1200 miles from home.

Budget had a supercarrier that is rated for the weight, but it is 3 inches too narrow for the SRT. I ended up having my wife drive the SRT and we hauled the Cadillac behind the Budget rental truck.

Last edited:
My son just made it back from his 2nd deployment in Afg. Glad he's home. Proud of everyone who serves. Stay safe. Semper Fi

That's strange, they fit on a uhual trailer, 79" fender to fender

Pull the Beemer, figure 10mpg pulling the BMW for 1500miles =150gals
Drive the BMW at 20mpg=75gals then the truck at 15mpg=100 for a total of 175 driving separate, I might be way off on the mileage your cars get though.

Be safe over there man, military or private contractor?

Prior Military/USMC/2000-2010
7242/DASC
Semper Fi

Private contactor now!

The facts from Gasbuddy.com

"BMW"
Vista, CA 92083 to Huntsville, AL 35801
Total Trip Cost $295.35

"SRT"
Vista, CA 92083 to Huntsville, AL 35801
Total Trip Cost $686.98

TMO will not ship any possessions for family during a deployment. Only for a Permanent Change of Station. Hes paying out of pocket for this move.

They will, if you do it as part of GSA orders. Which end up being PCS orders anyways, but you can return to the same place you started. This was setup so family could move back home while service member is gone for a year. This is one of the differences between and IA and a GSA. However they never ship vehicles in CONUS.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back