Headlight and Fog Bulb change out question

trw0042

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought some new bulbs tonight that I want to put in my 2005 reg cab. I havent looked around the fogs much because i didnt think i would replace them but you know how it is in the middle of the night and your looking at parts! but what is the best way to get at these to change the bulbs. Is the best way to come up at them threw the wheel opening or does that plasic piece get in the way? Just wondering what is the best angle to get at to change those fogs out

Anything i should know about change the headlight bulbs out or the fogs?

I know this is a easy thing to do but still just wanted to check with my viper truck buddies!

To do the headlight bulbs you remove the headlight assembly. For the fogs raise the front on the truck up, and go from underneath.

Bill.

hey

Thanks for giving me the idea to raise it, i probably would have made it a hard process and not done that. But thanks for the simple idea

Appreciate it

I cant get the headlight assembly out to change the bulbs!!! I've unscrewed the 3 on nxt to the radiator and the one under the light. Do I have to unscrew the one that adjusts the headlight assembly ALSO???

Rob

No there are only the 3 screws, but there is a clip holding on in the upper outside area of the headlight. give it a good pull.

as for the fogs i just turned the wheel all the way right for the left fog and all the way left for the right and it gave me plenty of room.

Good Info!

I am getting ready to do the exact same bulb change!

I finally got it off.... what a crapy design, and pain in the ass just to change bulbs.

And of course they aren't even brighter than the originals. I bought some 8500k EuroDezigns off ebayfor the headlights and fogs. Basiclly, they look cool but dont give off the light I hoped for...

Are the PIAA or silverstars any better?

SnakeBite said:
I finally got it off.... what a crapy design, and pain in the ass just to change bulbs.

And of course they aren't even brighter than the originals. I bought some 8500k EuroDezigns off ebayfor the headlights and fogs. Basiclly, they look cool but dont give off the light I hoped for...

Are the PIAA or silverstars any better?

i got HID's on mine.. lot's of people like them and say it looks cool
and YES they are brighter (LOTS).
the only problem i have is that on the dash it say lamp out...after putting these HID's you have no more high lights? :mad:

I got some Korean made "Off Road Use Only" bulbs from local window tint/stereo shop.Circuit City also has almost exact same.They were 100w/80w.VERY bright and only cost $18 :D Big time PIA to change.:mad: The fogs (80w only) are even brighter.I can see WAY better with the fogs/low beams than with the highs.

Will Silverstars give me that dash light problem?? That's what I bought but have yet to install......

HaulinAsp said:
Will Silverstars give me that dash light problem?? That's what I bought but have yet to install......

I just bought the Silverstars last night and installed the fog lights in 3 mins. No light warnings yet. I'm waiting on my projector headlights to come in tomorrow. I'm installing Silverstars in those too.

spdrcrj said:
I just bought the Silverstars last night and installed the fog lights in 3 mins. No light warnings yet. I'm waiting on my projector headlights to come in tomorrow. I'm installing Silverstars in those too.
I bought the Silverstars for my headlights- but have yet to install them. I don't want to install them if I get that annoying dash light....

What is the number for the Silverstar fog bulbs? Are they much better?:D

I think they are MUCH better. They are whiter and maybe a little brighter. They do give a cleaner look though. The fog bulbs are 9006ST/2's (2 indicating a 2 pack). I got mine from Autozone. I think the dash light problems are only for the HID guys, I could be wrong.

Thanks. Keep me updated on the bulbs for the headlights, if you get the dash light.

Silverstars are basically stock wattage so you won't have any "LAMP OUT" warnings.I am running almost twice as much watts,so it takes more voltage to run them.Only thing I have to keep in mind is to turn on headlights BEFORE fogs.For the trouble,I can't see HIDs being better than what I have.BUT,I have had some unpleasant experiences from the law because they are so bright :D

Hot Ram,

i had 80W or 100W bulbs a few years ago in another car. They worked very well about 6 month, then one day i smelled some smoke when driving. The smoke got more, it came out of the light switch. I switched off the light, but the switch was melted because it was made for 50W and not for 100w. I was lucky not to get fire by hot wires, so only the switch had to be changed. Since then i am only using stock bulbs.

How long have you your 80W bulbs in your car? Do you switch it on only by night or at daytime (i do so) too? What do you think, how many hours did you use your 80W bulbs, since you put them in your car? It would be interesting whether the light switch is getting hot, when light is on longer time. Can you test it?

best regards

SRT911

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back