Help Request from Japan

JapanAaron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok.... I know that this isn't SRT-10 related, but I know many of you are engine tuners and may have some input. My 1955 Chevy project is nearing completion, but now I am having engine problems. Anybody with TPI experience might be able to help, background is as follows: converted my 1969 stock bore 350 block to a TPI engine, new computer friendly camshaft (computer program to cam specs), TPI unit from a running 88 IROC Z, wiring harness converted to speed density, New: MAP, distributor cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, Accel injectors, TPS, O2. Used and not replaced: knock sensor, fuel regulator, IAC valve, etc. Heads are from an 93 Blazer 350. Today we attempted to start the engine for the first time, engine would not fire or even attempt to fire after numerous attempts. Fuel pump is working, injectors are working (audible clicking), plenty of spark. We removed spark plug #1 and was totally dry with no fuel. Fuel pump is a BBK 1602, rated at Free Flow Rate: 50 gph, Maximum Pressure (psi): 70 psi, Inlet Size: 5/16 in., Inlet Quantity: Single Inlet Attachment: Hose barb, Outlet Size: 5/16 in. Is my fuel pump sufficient for TPI use? Could my fuel pressure regulator be bad? How would I check it? Also, I see that numerous fuel injection pumps are 5/16 outputs, I used 3/8 fuel line. Could the larger diameter fuel line be causing my fuel pressure to drop due to the larger diameter fuel line? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated There isn't much tech support for a TPI engine here in Japan. Sorry to bother everybody here on the SRT-10 site.

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge on the car, or a Schrader valve on the fuel rail to attach one? Even w/o a gauge, opening the Schrader valve with a small screwdriver will verify you have fuel and some kind of pressure at the rail(watch your eyes). Tuned Port Induction Specialties (www.tpis.com) is recommending 47 psi. Distributor 180 out? Have access to a scan tool to verify good readings from MAP and other sensors?

Kinda hard to diagnose without being there, just throwing out the first things that came to mind. Good luck.

RatMotor said:
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge on the car, or a Schrader valve on the fuel rail to attach one? Even w/o a gauge, opening the Schrader valve with a small screwdriver will verify you have fuel and some kind of pressure at the rail(watch your eyes). Tuned Port Induction Specialties (www.tpis.com) is recommending 47 psi. Distributor 180 out? Have access to a scan tool to verify good readings from MAP and other sensors?

Kinda hard to diagnose without being there, just throwing out the first things that came to mind. Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion, I do have a fuel gauge for TPI systems and am going to check the pressure today. We opened the shrader valve a small amount and fuel was present, but not sure of the pressure. Set the initial timing at TDC 0 degrees and then began walking it slowly. First counterclockwise then clockwise and had the same results.. no start. Most of my sensors are brand new, MAP, O2, TPS... etc.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back