Help! Transmission Trouble

SRTgarrett

Reaction score
I was driving home in my '05 QC last night, and I noticed when leaving a stop sign the truck did not want to accelerate until about 1800 RPM - like it was slipping, but seemed to do ok once i got over 1800 RPM. I was only a few miles from home, so i was just going to take it easy the rest of the way. A few blocks later the problem got much worse and i almost couldnt drive. The truck was running aout 2500 RPM and only 25 MPH - I had to limp home, and now i have parked it in my drive. There was no check engine light until i parked in my drive, right before i was going to kill the truck, the light came on. Did not have time last night to look at anything, I had to leave for an engagement as soon as i parked. I am about to head out and start looking for things this morning, to see if I can pinpoint the problem. I have to fix my truck ASAP, its my driver. I feel like my transmission is probably fried, and i just need advice on how to get it up and running ASAP! Any help or suggestions from anyone will be greatly appreciated!

I was driving home in my '05 QC last night, and I noticed when leaving a stop sign the truck did not want to accelerate until about 1800 RPM - like it was slipping, but seemed to do ok once i got over 1800 RPM. I was only a few miles from home, so i was just going to take it easy the rest of the way. A few blocks later the problem got much worse and i almost couldnt drive. The truck was running aout 2500 RPM and only 25 MPH - I had to limp home, and now i have parked it in my drive. There was no check engine light until i parked in my drive, right before i was going to kill the truck, the light came on. Did not have time last night to look at anything, I had to leave for an engagement as soon as i parked. I am about to head out and start looking for things this morning, to see if I can pinpoint the problem. I have to fix my truck ASAP, its my driver. I feel like my transmission is probably fried, and i just need advice on how to get it up and running ASAP! Any help or suggestions from anyone will be greatly appreciated!

How close are you to Waco? Scott (venomous1 racing) should be able to get you taken care of. He will be along shortly to touch base with you.

Thanks, I have talked with Scott a few times, seems to be a great guy. Not sure where to start, gonna go out in a few minutes and see if i can get the engine code it threw when i parked - then go from there. Im sure ill get it fixed, im trying not to stress about it :afraid:

ok - i have dtc code P1763-GOVERNOR PRESSURE SENSOR VOLTS TOO HI (GAS)

im not sure what this means - but i did install the gm conversion governor pressure solenoind and new transducer about 2 weeks ago, and have been driving the truck daily with no issues until last night.

I do not know what to do from here.

im not sure what this means - but i did install the gm conversion governor pressure solenoind and new transducer about 2 weeks ago, and have been driving the truck daily with no issues until last night.

Sounds like new solenoid is acting up or wiring came undone. I'd drop the pan and have a look-see.

ok, will do that - what am i looking for besides the wiring undone? Would this alone cause the problem i am describing? I was limping home at 25 MPH around 2,500-3,000 rpm, and when i would touch the accelerator it would just rev - not really accelerate, like it was slipping. Im getting ready to drop the pan in a few. thank you for all of your advice.

Does anybody out there have any more ideas on this? My wife says it smells burnt (I dont have a sense of smell). I can pull the pan and look at the pressure governor solenoid to see if it is loose or anything, but I hesitate to do that if I am going to have to replace the transmission anyways. If there is a chance i might not have to replace/rebuild the transmission I will gladly do whatever I need to to try and fix the problem - and if I do need to replace/rebuild the tranny then i would really like some advice as to what I need to do to get the job done right without spending more money than I need to. Thank you to anyone that might be able to help.

Why did you have this done?

as stated be sure the harness is plugged in from the top of tranny, check the bands while the pan is off, its possible the seals are old and not holding pressure internally, if you change fluid it is critical from what i been told to keep atf 3 or 4 tranny fluid, if you do the rebuild be dam sure your same components get reinstalled with fresh seals etc. lot of shops will just remove and replace such as the overdrive unit and then youll end up with a weak overdrive unit from a 318 or 360 truck, also i believe there is a check valve in the cooler lines, it may be dislodged and stuck blocking tranny fluid flow, and last possibly the converter may be bad

Can anyone tell me how to determine if my tranny is fried, or if i might be able to save it. If it is fried i need to try and get it in a shop tomorrow - or maybe someone here has a tranny for sale?

Sounds like new solenoid is acting up or wiring came undone. I'd drop the pan and have a look-see.

I agree with Scott...I would check the parts you installed and make sure you hooked up everything correctly. Even if it has been two weeks. Did you adjust the bands when you had the pan off? Maybe you should...or maybe your adjustment was off. I know its a pain to drop the pan and all...but it's a good idea to check.

ok, i will do that this morning. I did adjust the bands per the directions I had found on this forum. Do you think that if i check everything and re-adjust that there is a chance my transmission might not be dead? I just hate to put a half days work and $80 worth of fluid if shes already dead anyways....

I attached a picture of the page from the service manual. By the explanation, it sounds like its the governor solenoid. I guess I would start there. As for the fluid...go to your local Chrysler dealership and see if you can get some ATF+4 from their bulk supply. I've done this a couple of times now for ATF and for the rear diff gear oil. Usually I bring a clean jug or two, I actually used an Arizona iced tea container last time. Just make sure if you rinse something out, that there is no water left in it.

I bought some for my car a couple days ago...for 4qts of ATF+4 it would have been $55, so I got 5qts of their bulk for $27!:rock:

Or, you could drain and reuse the fluid if it looks fine, since you just recently changed it. Though most would probably advise against it.

Attachments

• govenor.jpg
    govenor.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
as far as a burned tranny there will be trash in the pan and the fluid darkish red with black in it, if the pan and fluid look good then id say the tranducer and solenoid may need replacing again. also if it is the solenoid and transducer then you should consider a flush by reinstalling the new filter and cleaned pan then seperate the tranny line and install into a bucket and pour 4-6qts of new fluid in tranny and start in neutral and watch it pump into a bucket and keep adding fluid until its red and clear then reconnect and refill the pan

ok - anything i might be able to look for on the solenoid i installed? I installed the GM conversion from JTSVP. should i just try to get a stock solenoid locally and install that?

What color is the fluid when u pull the stick? Normally a circuit high code is a bad sensor of short

ok - anything i might be able to look for on the solenoid i installed? I installed the GM conversion from JTSVP. should i just try to get a stock solenoid locally and install that?

you may need to contact him or google on how to do a resistance check on that,

a transmission parts house should have the gm replacement and or the stock replacement, if stock replacement be sure its a BorgWarner as i been told they are more dependable, also verify that what you have is tightened and maybe check the valvebody bolts if the valvebody was removed

first thing is pull the pan and see whats in bottom of pan

Here are pics of the pan when i got if off. There not really any trash in it, but the fluid is dark and smells a little burned.

Attachments

• IMG_0614.JPG
    IMG_0614.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0615.JPG
    IMG_0615.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0616.JPG
    IMG_0616.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 53

Latest posts

Support Us