Help tuning Turbo

FlyingLow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tuned a turbo with a VEC3 or VEC2? Dan is having issues with some lean spots and other issues. He has been in contact with Sean Roe but they are in 2 different states so not a whole lot of help. I was told that maybe the 60lb injectors are too much for this system. :dontknow: So if anyone has experience tuning a turbo on this truck or tuning a turbo with the VEC then post up.

Smoke

You might want to contact Underground Racing in NC. I don't know how much help they will be or how open they are to discussing such things. But that's where Tony got his twin turbo system tuned. Good Luck. And if memory serves, He has a VEC III. I've heard that if your not spending money with them, they might not be too talkative.

Last edited:
Not sure how you would have lean issues if the 60lb injectors were overkill :dontknow:

The VEC2 is a bit of a challenge to tune smoothly (Without a PCM flash backup) but the VEC 3 isnt too bad.

Are the variables already maxed out (fuel side) on the tune parameters ?
Fuel pressure is good under full load ?

What's the rest of the fuel system like? The bigger injectors may be starving the in-tank factory pump. Watch the fuel pressure and make sure it doesn't drop off during the pull.

Joe

Hope you can be the one to figure this STS thing out. That one on ebay is down to 4500.:dontknow: :D

wo1sjb said:
Hope you can be the one to figure this STS thing out. That one on ebay is down to 4500.:dontknow: :D

Nah. Once they get a taste for hypereutectic material, they'll never be tame. That particular one's already responsible for the premature death of 8 pistons, and a VERY large hole in my bank account. Please do not ask me how I know.

If the lean-out is showing up at varying RPMs and your fuel pressure is steady, I can only guess that it's from a rough boost curve. I know that turbo spools up pretty abruptly.

what size turbo are you running? i know on the web site they used to say it was a gts36. not too sure thou.

Ram From Hell said:
If the lean-out is showing up at varying RPMs and your fuel pressure is steady, I can only guess that it's from a rough boost curve. I know that turbo spools up pretty abruptly.

I'm not there while there are doing the pulls. They did do 29 dyno runs. The problems seems to be in the software or at least how they are using the software. They have tuned with the VEC3 before. It is just my system that is a little more touchy. Boost is steady and all pulls are done in Tow/haul with the dropdown cable disconnected. They are only having issues at certain RPMS. They can't take enough fuel out in the lower RPM's so the truck sluggish then. He has the meth firing above 5k RPM's.

mmmmtorque said:
Not sure how you would have lean issues if the 60lb injectors were overkill :dontknow:

The VEC2 is a bit of a challenge to tune smoothly (Without a PCM flash backup) but the VEC 3 isnt too bad.

Are the variables already maxed out (fuel side) on the tune parameters ?
Fuel pressure is good under full load ?

I have a Blower Flash from B&G. As far as the variables I haven't seen any of the sheets and even if I did I wouldn't know what I was looking at. I have a card reader and the software from Roe. I just don't know what to do with it. I'm 150 miles from Roe right now. I'm hoping to get it in for a tune. But if I can't then I might be stuck trying to do it myself. (Scary). How is the little one Charles?

FlyingLow said:
I have a Blower Flash from B&G. As far as the variables I haven't seen any of the sheets and even if I did I wouldn't know what I was looking at. I have a card reader and the software from Roe. I just don't know what to do with it. I'm 150 miles from Roe right now. I'm hoping to get it in for a tune. But if I can't then I might be stuck trying to do it myself. (Scary). How is the little one Charles?

Having Sean do it is the best route...if you end up tuning it yourself with a VEC, let me know.

The little one isnt so little anymore ;) He just turned 1 and is wearing clothes for 2&3 year olds :D

Thanks for asking ;)

Wish you and your family all the best and hope you have great 4th!:rock:

mmmmtorque said:
The little one isnt so little anymore ;) He just turned 1 and is wearing clothes for 2&3 year olds :D
:

Well when dad is 7.2 ........jr is gonna grow like a weed!!!:D ;)

Scott, have you called Roe yet? Do they tune with STS anymore, I saw you post they dont do installs anymore.:dontknow: 150 miles is not far when you consider what could happen with a bad tune.

patrick

mauiSRT/10 said:
Scott, have you called Roe yet? Do they tune with STS anymore, I saw you post they dont do installs anymore.:dontknow: 150 miles is not far when you consider what could happen with a bad tune.

patrick

They don't do installs but they might still do tuning. Everything is installed now. I have a safe tune but It could be better. I just can't call Roe till at least tomorrow and even then I don't know if they can fit me in and if they even want to try to tune it. They are S/C guys, not turbo guys. They tuned the STS before with the STS1-E so I'm hoping they can do with the VEC3.

FlyingLow said:
They don't do installs but they might still do tuning. Everything is installed now. I have a safe tune but It could be better. I just can't call Roe till at least tomorrow and even then I don't know if they can fit me in and if they even want to try to tune it. They are S/C guys, not turbo guys. They tuned the STS before with the STS1-E so I'm hoping they can do with the VEC3.

Right on......

patrick

FlyingLow said:
I'm not there while there are doing the pulls. They did do 29 dyno runs. The problems seems to be in the software or at least how they are using the software. They have tuned with the VEC3 before. It is just my system that is a little more touchy. Boost is steady and all pulls are done in Tow/haul with the dropdown cable disconnected. They are only having issues at certain RPMS. They can't take enough fuel out in the lower RPM's so the truck sluggish then. He has the meth firing above 5k RPM's.

I don't know if this will make any difference, but I believe my Meth is kicking in at just above 3000 RPM's?:dontknow:

Good Luck Scott, if you get it to Sean I am sure he will be able to help out.

Marc T said:
I don't know if this will make any difference, but I believe my Meth is kicking in at just above 3000 RPM's?:dontknow:

Good Luck Scott, if you get it to Sean I am sure he will be able to help out.

I'm just going by what Dan at Kitchens told me. He has it set to come on at 5K RPM's are so. I'm not positive though. I'm going to drive up there tomorrow to pick it up and then hopefully drive it straight to Roe. Then I have to get back to Savannah.

its not a *set time..lots of factors come into play, different for each vehicle.

do you have a dyno graph you can email me?

-Red

Like Red said, its adjustable on when and what percentage is injected through the VEC software.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back