Help with a '80 Ford 302 Bronco Engine

ohiosrt10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My sister gave me her ex-husbands 1980 Ford Bronco to try to clean up and sell for her. Since there are so many motor heads around here, I have a few questions. I don't know too much about engines but perhaps I can find the help I need....

#1. There appears to be a belt missing which attaches to the main belt drive as well a device directly above it (on the top left side of the engine). It kind of looks like an alternator, however, I don't think it is since I was able to find what I think is the alternator. Also, inside, the gauges show good voltage so it's obviously something else. There is what looks to be some type of breather device attached directly to the top of this unit which is marked D8BE-98289-BA, 9K03D and also 8325 along with a hose coming out. Any idea what this is?

#2. It has a Warn 8274 winch attached to the front. Inside the console I found the remote control for the winch which has a plug in adapter but I can't find where it plugs in. Any ideas?

:dontknow: :dontknow:

Thanks in advance!

1> Air pump. Part of emissions system.
2. Plugs into the motor side of the winch. Probably under a protective cap. Might want to DL the winch manual right from the Warn site

Last edited:
Azmotorhead said:
1> Air pump. Part of emissions system.
2. Plugs into the motor side of the winch. Probably under a protective cap. Might want to DL the winch manual right from the Warn site

Thanks for the info! What is the purpose of this "air pump"? If it doesn't have a belt and doesn't spin, what are the negative effects?

I've never seen a set up like that before.. is that something that was common during that era? I had several older vehicles when I was younger and don't remember ever seeing anything like that before.

:rock:

BUMP... oh, this was a California car so that may even make emissions more interesting now that it's in Ohio.

ohiosrt10 said:
Thanks for the info! What is the purpose of this "air pump"? If it doesn't have a belt and doesn't spin, what are the negative effects?

I've never seen a set up like that before.. is that something that was common during that era? I had several older vehicles when I was younger and don't remember ever seeing anything like that before.

:rock:

air pump or smog pump.

to my understandin it was used to help the cats burn better & help show the tail pipe emissions to show better.

most would lock up after a few thousand miles & if you were lucky enough the pump had its own belt & not knock out other acc. was well.

no effects on performance

ZCx said:
air pump or smog pump.

to my understandin it was used to help the cats burn better & help show the tail pipe emissions to show better.

most would lock up after a few thousand miles & if you were lucky enough the pump had its own belt & not knock out other acc. was well.

no effects on performance

Thanks for the info... I'm not going to bother buying another belt to run it then.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back