Help with air bags?????

katfab

Reaction score
I have x metal lowering kit on an 05 quad cab. Have just put on Caltracs which did help a little with vibration from pinion angle but I still need to raise the rear up when towing. Gary from x metal says just put air bags on. Well it does not seem to be that easy, I am in Dallas and have taken the truck to several reputable off road shop to get air bags installed and have had no success. They have all said with the setup I have on the truck there is no room for an air bag. Will someone please post a pic of the underside of your truck if you have airbags and x metal lowering kit installed? If you have a model # and manufacturer of the air system that would be appreciatted also. Thanks in advance.

Call Gary, he'll know of some that will fit. Maybe try a shop that does more with (cough) ricers. The kind of air bags that offroad trucks use will not work. You want load leveler or helper air bags not bags meant to be the only spring.

Joe

give me a little ok? I think eddie put them on his lowered qc, havent heard from him lately it may be tommorrow before i can contact him

Whoever said that is ignorant!! I have the helper bags on mine and they fit fine. Keep in mind you are not looking for full blown airbags but simple helper bags! Mine are made by McGaughys out of so cal!:D

I have a modded air lift kit on my RC, I had to seriously cut up the bottom brackets. It works awesome, my truck towed with the back lower than the front before, now it doesn't even squat with 6500+#'s. Expect to have a custom setup built for your truck with the flip kit, etc.
Justin

JMB Justin said:
I have a modded air lift kit on my RC, I had to seriously cut up the bottom brackets. It works awesome, my truck towed with the back lower than the front before, now it doesn't even squat with 6500+#'s. Expect to have a custom setup built for your truck with the flip kit, etc.
Justin

hey yeah jsut contact justin and getem from him, sorry I gotta put you on speed dial Justin:D

Rockin Ronnie said:
Whoever said that is ignorant!! I have the helper bags on mine and they fit fine. Keep in mind you are not looking for full blown airbags but simple helper bags! Mine are made by McGaughys out of so cal!:D
I talked to the people at McGaughys and they will not confirm if the kit that is on their website will fit or not. They said they would only guaranty a fit with their lowering kit. Of course if I but it and it doesnt work they will not take it back. Do you have Garys lowering kit? and if so which kit from Mcgaughys?

Last edited:
katfab said:
I talked to the people at McGaughys and they will not confirm if the kit that is on their website will fit or not. They said they would only guaranty a fit with their lowering kit. Of course if I but it and it doesnt work they will not take it back. Do you have Garys lowering kit? and if so which kit from Mcgaughys?

I have an 06 QC that has the rear 1.5" rear lowering shackle and a Helwig sway bar. I tow a boat and have been looking for a rear air bag helper spring as some have mentioned here. Air lift makes a kit for the SRT10 but after calling them it only fits the RC and not the QC as the spring sits on top of the axle on the QC. Air Lift does make a kit for the QC 1/2 ton but you have to drill the frame which I don't want to do. After searching the net, I found Firestone makes a set of no drill helper bags which I am going to order from Summit. Air lift also makes a cool automatic air compressor system that mounts under the bed. When you hook up a trailer and the rear end drops, it automatically raises the rear end up to the stock heigth or 6,500 lbs. which is cool. I am going to order this week so I'll let you know when I get it installed and shoot some pics.

Thanks!

I ordered mine from napa made by air lift, they fit fine on a lowered vehicle, when i raised it back up the bumpstops inside the air bags touched unless you have at least 20lbs in them but it looked like the ass end of the truck was too high for everyday driving as far as looks go to me, i had a cheaper lowering kit that handled like crap so i took it off until i can swing gary's x metal kit but the air bags are a easy install takes probably 2 hours depending on how much beer is involved.

Something to remember is with Gary's QC lowering kits the spring is moved under the axle so a RC kit would prob work better.

Joe

Back