Help with OEM tonneau install

drumline99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got one shipped in great condition and now I'm having trouble with the install. The brackets at the tailgate end, I see 2 bolts that attach to the rail and the 3rd that goes right near the tailgate. Question is, how are the 3rd bolts installed? On one side I just have a hole where the bolt goes and no way to get to the back of it to put on a nut. The other side has something behind the hole, but it doesn't seem threaded. What is it supposed to look like and how are those bolts installed?
Thanks!

My cover has nothing by the tailgate???

You should have two pivoting brackets(one per side) on the front of the bed and that's it? I don't remember anything by the tailgate except for the shocks?

Shoot me a PM drumline, my truck is right next to me and I'm not busy, I'll help get you squared away sir!

Last edited:
My cover has nothing by the tailgate???

You should have two pivoting brackets(one per side) on the front of the bed and that's it? I don't remember anything by the tailgate except for the shocks?

Shoot me a PM drumline, my truck is right next to me and I'm not busy, I'll help get you squared away sir!

Noob here...can I PM? I can't seem to find a link...

Click my s/n and it should say "Send a private message" oh wait it maybe a post limited thing... If you can't what do you need pics of I'll run out and snap a few.

2rokvvl.jpg

and the hole behind it:

2mm77mw.jpg

Jeeze I'm retarded I thought you were talking about a pivoting bracket towards the back.

Went out and looked at it and it should just bolt right in? Could it be the Line-X is to thick?

Jeeze I'm retarded I thought you were talking about a pivoting bracket towards the back.

Went out and looked at it and it should just bolt right in? Could it be the Line-X is to thick?

The one side, there is no threads to bolt into. The other side there is something in the hole, but no threads. Almost seems like the bolt was broken off in there, but its so hard to tell.

I may have to shave down the line x, but not sure what holds the bolts in place :dontknow:

Hmmm.... the only thing I can think of is that this piece may have a nut for the bolt to fasten too?

IMAG01501_zpse980199e.jpg

Mine comes in and out no problem?

It's going to take some effort to try and get these hands down that little hole to put in a nut.

Have you tried going in from the brake light? I can't remember if it is possible or not?

Does he need to install or reinstall a rivnut I think it's called?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I'm missing something whatever it is. I'll check the thread tomorrow to see if anyone's got anything for me.

I don't have any pics but the two top screws should have just open holes to use a plate with two threaded holes in it to sandwhich together. The hole near the tailgate can be done two ways, you can either instal a rivnut or the easier way is to install a very large rivet. Rivets were used on the very early covers that had locks built into them, this is how mine is held on from the factory.

My '05 did not come with a factory cover, but all needed holes were there with factory threaded inserts ready for bolts and when I found a cover it bolted right in, no problems. Looks like that one hole has been stripped out or removed.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back