hemi vs. srt 10

hemi24

Reaction score
i have an 03 rc hemi that runs 13.5's n/a and 12.8 on the spray. what kinde of times does a stock rc srt10 run. what does it take to get a srt10 in the 12's on motor and how would it run with a 150 shot and slicks? the reason i ask these ? is because i am tired of replacing trannys and the tuning on the hemi sucks, so i am going to sell the truck and i am considering a rc srt-10. to run these times on my truck i have to strip it down and bolt on slicks,skinnies, and i have every bolt on possible. needless to say i have give up on havin a daily driven 12 second hemi truck and i want more

A rc srt-10 with a good driver can run high 12's stock, but thats if everything is perfect.

They trap from 105 to 107 depending on weather stock.

Was your Hemi an auto or manual?

Either way, you better think about budgeting for tires.
Lots and lots of tires. :)

What do you have in your hemi that gets you 13.5's? Means you are putting some 420 ponnies to the wheels N/A.

i have an cai,superchips,longtube headers w/cut-outs,asp pulley, aps 2400 stall,plasma igntion booster, 28x10.5 slicks w/ front 17'' skinnies, 180 t-stat, race wieght was about 4650#. i could possibly do a few more mods and catch some cooler weather and run a 13.2 or so. the truck is fast but i daily drive it with some 24's and about 5000# and it is a slug. i want something i can drive to the track run a 12 and still look good and be a truck. not saying i wouldn't ever bolt a set of slicks on and run it. i have went thru 3 trannys with the nos and in street trim it would probly be only running 13.2-13.6. and also there is only a handful of upgrades for the tranny, and the toner rings fail in these trucks too. the nazi computers kill these trucks also

Try Suncoast for the tranny.
I have a Hemi also.

i have a built tranny from sharadon performance and it has the suncoast clutches and the transgo upgrades. i see they are working on a 518 swap but that could be around the 5k range.

Buy the SRT-10, you won't be disappointed.

I ran a 13.3 and the only upgrade I have is a Stage II flash, and a K&N drop-in.

I am not sure that a high 12 is possible with a bone stock truck, even with the perfect driver and conditions, but it sounds like if you apply the Mods you have already done to your Hemi, to an SRT-10, you would be in the low 12's maybe high 11's!

We have guys here running 150 shots and they are in the high 11's with street tires.

Check the Timeslips link at the top of the page, it will show you times and some of the mods.

Headers, exhaust and intake will get you 12.7's in a RC if you can shift. That is with stock tires and just the spare tire removed. You can run low 12.9's probably hit a high 12.8 in street trim and 3/4 tank of gas.

As others have said, if you can really shift you can hit the high 12s on a RC stock truck, 05 and 06 is easier due to gearing.

If you do buy plan on

1. Shifter if you really want to race the truck. $250-$650.
2. Clutch, flywheel and upgraded cylinders. $1500.
3. Full exhaust, not required but easy to do and you will be happy with the sound and performance gains. $2000-$3000.

Note, prices do not include install costs.

Kevan said:
Was your Hemi an auto or manual?

Either way, you better think about budgeting for tires.
Lots and lots of tires. :)

I am guessing auto unless he is racing a 2500. 1500 Hemi's only came in auto :mad:

Buy and SRT10 and never look back. I just traded a normally aspirated but highly modified 2004 QC w/5.7L Hemi for a new 2005 QC SRT10. The best run I ever made in the QC was 14.036 at HRP on drag radials with significant weight reduction. I took my new SRT110 to HRP last Friday in full street trim and the only mod a DC Stage II PCM and ran 13.399. An old friend of mine always said there's no substitue for cubic inches. I'm inclined to agree.

oldguysrt10 said:
An old friend of mine always said there's no substitue for cubic inches. I'm inclined to agree.

What you mean is NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACAMENT :D

Hemi to srt-10

I have wanted a srt-10 for a while and I am goin to purchase one soon... for the same reason. My hemi went 12.1 on nX (PP 6.1 hemi heads, cam, and intake, headers, cutouts, edge converter, 4.10 srt-10 rear axle, e-fan, stm-6 piggy back controller, 2 stage 100, 75 Nx kit, M&H drag slicks)..... the motor has been there since july and still going good. 4 tranny's later(suncoast clutches, transgo shift kit... I even tried a "built" tranny from a source that shall remain unnamed) and It went out again on the 31st, same ol bull no forth or fifth gear... so yesterday and today was spent returning the motor to stock, and bringing the tranny to the shop. It's being sold asap. What I want to know is what to look out for in a used srt-10 rc (red!!!). I know the 04 have 4.10 and the 05 have 4.56 right? I also heard the clutches only last 15,000 miles, is that true and if so how much is a replacement? What about gas milage the hemi only got 10-11 in the city and that was babying it. Also what other cost do I need to be ready for; Tires? I went through a set every year, also I drive ALOT so how bout general duribaly?Right now while my truck is down I am driving my uncles 05' viper, but it going to be torn down soon and thats my only aux vehical.

I know thats alot but I am trying to make sure this is what I want.

BigRedâ„¢

svt freak ran a 12.7 bone stock in his srt-10. i can find the video and post it if you like.

you have to know how to shift these things. they can do 12's with the driver mod only.

BigRed460 said:
I know the 04 have 4.10 and the 05 have 4.56 right?
Correct. Also the 05's have upgraded rear brakes, and a few other little tidbits. A quick search here will get you the full list.
BigRed460 said:
I also heard the clutches only last 15,000 miles, is that true and if so how much is a replacement?
I have 13K on mine, and the clutch is fine.
How long it lasts also depends on how hard you use/abuse it. :) Hint: Don't tow anything. LOL
BigRed460 said:
What about gas milage the hemi only got 10-11 in the city and that was babying it.
If you drive nicely, it will get about the same.
Stepping on the throttle is basically like shotgun'ing a beer but using the gas tank instead. LOL That loud noise you hear when romping on the gas? That's thousands of Saudi Arabians cheering. :D
BigRed460 said:
Also what other cost do I need to be ready for; Tires? I went through a set every year, also I drive ALOT so how bout general duribaly?
I have had no issues with durability over the last 6 months since I bought my '05 RC (my daily driver).
If it's not covered under warranty, someone on this forum can either get you the part or walk you through fixing it. Yeah...they're that good.

Tires- yes. There are some great sources on here for everything from cheapie-burnout tires up to uber-high performance ones. I'll probably go through a set a year (and save a couple of the old ones for burnouts at the Nats. LOL)

Oil changes can get pricey. Wal-Mart-type stores are a good place to score the gallon jugs of oil. The good news is that the oil filter, from Mopar, is only about $5!

It'll be a lot like your previous truck, but every stop you make people will ask you about it. :)

BigRed460 said:
I have wanted a srt-10 for a while and I am goin to purchase one soon... for the same reason. My hemi went 12.1 on nX (PP 6.1 hemi heads, cam, and intake, headers, cutouts, edge converter, 4.10 srt-10 rear axle, e-fan, stm-6 piggy back controller, 2 stage 100, 75 Nx kit, M&H drag slicks)..... the motor has been there since july and still going good. 4 tranny's later(suncoast clutches, transgo shift kit... I even tried a "built" tranny from a source that shall remain unnamed) and It went out again on the 31st, same ol bull no forth or fifth gear... so yesterday and today was spent returning the motor to stock, and bringing the tranny to the shop. It's being sold asap.

BigRedâ„¢

What are you selling your Hemi parts for and which ones?

Kevan said:
Correct. Also the 05's have upgraded rear brakes, and a few other little tidbits. A quick search here will get you the full list.
I have 13K on mine, and the clutch is fine.
How long it lasts also depends on how hard you use/abuse it. :) Hint: Don't tow anything. LOL
If you drive nicely, it will get about the same.
Stepping on the throttle is basically like shotgun'ing a beer but using the gas tank instead. LOL That loud noise you hear when romping on the gas? That's thousands of Saudi Arabians cheering. :D
I have had no issues with durability over the last 6 months since I bought my '05 RC (my daily driver).
If it's not covered under warranty, someone on this forum can either get you the part or walk you through fixing it. Yeah...they're that good.

Tires- yes. There are some great sources on here for everything from cheapie-burnout tires up to uber-high performance ones. I'll probably go through a set a year (and save a couple of the old ones for burnouts at the Nats. LOL)

Oil changes can get pricey. Wal-Mart-type stores are a good place to score the gallon jugs of oil. The good news is that the oil filter, from Mopar, is only about $5!

It'll be a lot like your previous truck, but every stop you make people will ask you about it. :)

One quick correction to Kevan's list. The front brakes were upgraded, not the rear. Other than that Kevan:rock: did an excellent job on his list.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back