HID installation tips

johnnybravo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently installed XenonDepot's Xtreme HID kits on the truck. I ran into a couple little problems along the way, all of which are easily fixes. Figured it wouldn't hurt to post up the solutions.

Problems 1: HIDs won't come on, just made a "clicking" noise at the ballast.
Solution: You need to add a resistor to the HID wiring harness since factory headlights run at 55w and HIDs only run at 35w. I marked the HID harness in YELLOW. Simply cut away the black shroud to expose a white (power) and black (ground) pair wires. Cut away a small section of insulation on both wires. Then, using wire taps (supplied by Steve), connect one wire from the supplied resistor to the white and black wires from the harness. Your lights should now work. Be sure to mount the resistor away from plastic as it gets very hot.

Problem 2: LAMP OUT indicator on dash.
Solution: The HIDs only connect to the low beam wire in your factory harness. You need to bridge the factory high and low beam wires. I've marked these with the RED arrows. As you can see, there are 3 wires in the factory harness. The two white ones are you high and low beams, while the black one with a green stripe is the ground. To expose the wires, pull them from the black plastic shroud marked with the BLUE arrow. Strip away a small section of the wires' insulation. I then connected them with a 1.5 inch piece of 18 gauge power wire. Some members put a diode as an added safety measure. Wrap this new connection in electrical tape and push the wires back in the shroud. Your LAMP OUT light should be off now.

Obviously, make sure you disconnected the negative terminal on your battery before doing any of this. Hope this helps. It's seems pretty clear to me, but then again, I wrote it.:marchmellow: If there's a part you don't understand, I'll try to explain it more clearly.

Attachments

• headlight harness.jpg
    headlight harness.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 1,617
  • DSCF0540.JPG
    DSCF0540.JPG
    1,008.8 KB · Views: 269
  • DSCF0528.JPG
    DSCF0528.JPG
    736.5 KB · Views: 224
Hi Dane,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post! I'm certain that this will help many forum members when installing our product.

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your new lights =)

Steve

also...

By adding "VTCOA" as the coupon code upon checkout on our website we will include these resistors free of charge to VTCOA members =)

Steve

johnnybravo said:
I recently installed XenonDepot's Xtreme HID kits on the truck. I ran into a couple little problems along the way, all of which are easily fixes. Figured it wouldn't hurt to post up the solutions.

Problems 1: HIDs won't come on, just made a "clicking" noise at the ballast.
Solution: You need to add a resistor to the HID wiring harness since factory headlights run at 55w and HIDs only run at 35w. I marked the HID harness in YELLOW. Simply cut away the black shroud to expose a white (power) and black (ground) pair wires. Cut away a small section of insulation on both wires. Then, using wire taps (supplied by Steve), connect one wire from the supplied resistor to the white and black wires from the harness. Your lights should now work. Be sure to mount the resistor away from plastic as it gets very hot.

Problem 2: LAMP OUT indicator on dash.
Solution: The HIDs only connect to the low beam wire in your factory harness. You need to bridge the factory high and low beam wires. I've marked these with the RED arrows. As you can see, there are 3 wires in the factory harness. The two white ones are you high and low beams, while the black one with a green stripe is the ground. To expose the wires, pull them from the black plastic shroud marked with the BLUE arrow. Strip away a small section of the wires' insulation. I then connected them with a 1.5 inch piece of 18 gauge power wire. Some members put a diode as an added safety measure. Wrap this new connection in electrical tape and push the wires back in the shroud. Your LAMP OUT light should be off now.

Obviously, make sure you disconnected the negative terminal on your battery before doing any of this. Hope this helps. It's seems pretty clear to me, but then again, I wrote it.:marchmellow: If there's a part you don't understand, I'll try to explain it more clearly.

i still dont understand why running lower wattage lights would cause them not to work? that makes no sense to me:confused: would you care to explain in detail why this is... i installed a 35w kit on my truck and never had a problem except for the lamp out light.

From what I understand, it has something to do with the system that controls the factory lights (can't remember the name). The 35w HIDs don't offer enough resistance to register or something causing the power to switch on and repeatedly. But hey, you get the part to fix it for free!

Glad to see that the parts worked and the lamp out worked too...Glad you posted it for others....

johnnybravo, thank you for the picture of the two wires that need connecting. I'm going to try this myself tomorrow/today/whatever day it is now. LOL

Well, turns out John installed the jumper wire but I'm still getting the lamp out light. :dontknow:

spdrcrj said:
Well, turns out John installed the jumper wire but I'm still getting the lamp out light. :dontknow:

You might not have a good enough connection. With mine, I didn't just bridge a wire between the hi/lo beams. I basically twisted those two headlight wires together, then wrapped the piece of wire tightly around them so they stay together.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back