High RPM hesitation

Nucdancer01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read every thread that the search function registered with the following: TPS, IAC, hesitation...

I have noticed a high rpm, full throttle stumble in the truck. I have no driveability issues, no idle issues, "mostly full throttle" high RPM causes no noticeable problem. It feels like a carb loading up. The truck has no major mods, only a K&N intake.

It ultimately "breaks" through the hesitation, but still feels down on power.

I apologize for how stupid this sounds, but I don't know if the problem just started or not. I haven't done a lot of 100% throttle runs through first and second gear. With the pedal on the floor, as the tach climbs to around 4-4.5k, it feels like the truck falls on it's face, then pulls through it and I shift into second at 5800. I feel some surging under load, but have only continued to pull into 3rd a couple of times.

I have made some full throttle, high RPM runs starting in 3, then 4th, then 5th and didn't notice anything. But I have only put 1k miles on the truck since I bought it. I do know that my truck seemed down on power compared to another members truck, but I attributed that to weight and his few mods. This may not be related at all.

I am not getting any check engine lights, so I wouldn't think misfire, or O2 sensor issues (though the truck should be in open loop while full throttle-right?)

I have never been a fan of the "part-swapping" troubleshooting mentality. But will do what I have to ultimately.

She still burns the tires pretty deep into second when shifting after the stumble, but I want to make sure she's at the top of her game.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated!

-Jeremy

It does sound like the TPS and you can check by watching the voltage with a digital meter to ensure its reading all the way from idle to WOT.
Cycle your key 3 times from off to on and leave on the 3rd time. May be stored codes. Does your check engine light work?
A bad 02 could be the issue as well so you are heading in the right direction.

I'll check the TPS with a DMM tonight hopefully.

I thought that an O2 sensor would be out of the equation at WOT...? Does this ECM not go into open loop at full throttle?

I'm gonna have to pull my plugs here shortly and evaluate.. May be as simple as fouled plugs. Probably not a bad idea to get a catch can and run some seafoam green through it either.

Thanks for the follow up V1

Yessir O2 aren't looked at during open loop you are correct. Check middle wire on TPS with engine in on position. At idle should be .68 and up to 3.75 or so. Could also be cam/crank sensor as there's been many go bad without cel either. It would throw your timing, injectors and PCM outta whack. I had 4 foot backfire flames once due to cam sensor.:drool:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back