Hood Scoop in the rain?

TDay

Reaction score
I haven't driven my truck in the rain yet, but after looking at the hood scoop it looks to me that if it is driven in the rain, the engine bay would get wet. Anybody experienced this problem? If so is there a solution or does the engine compartment stay dry?

Also, I saw a "scoop insert" listed in one of the members signature lines... what is that?

-TDay.

have drive mine in the rain lots of times,so far no problems,a little water gets in but not enough to matter.i believe that they are talking about the grill in the scoop,there are several replacement grills for the scoop.most are billet or stainless.check with BOOMER.

Two days after I bought mine I got caught in a monsoon down pour in southern Utah about 80 miles out of Ceder City. It was raining so hard the bed was filling with water....

Kept driving, the final 50 miles @ about 30-35 mph, had zero problem

The room we got in Ceder City for the night had 1/2 inch of water 8 feet in through the door, didnt, care, the bed was dry

Jeff

I wondered the same thing, but I don't drive the truck in the rain.

However, I am parked outdoors upon an upward-incline driveway, so every time it rains it potentially runs into the engine bay anyway.

I suspect if rain does get in there, it just runs onto the intake and right off the back of the motor anyway. Probably doesn't really effect much of anything.

dont think it would,just think about what happens when you wash it,you get water in it when you rince the hood off.

i got caught in a really bad rain storm near the beach, and I drove about 30 miles in it. The truck started to feel less powerful for a little while, but I guess the more I drove it the easier the engine was able to warm up, and dry whatever rain came into the engine. Im sure if the rain came in at the right angle then it could affect the engine if you drove long enough.

No problems

I have a Volant CAI and have had no problems in the rain at all. Not much seems to get in there.
JEFF

I drive mine "Rain or Shine". No issues.

In the rain the faster you go the more it floats though.:eek:

MikeNice said:

Same here. I live in the Festering Shithole (Western Washington) where if I only drove it in nice weather I would hardly get to drive it.

Yes the engine gets wet. I just make sure to clean the engine at least every other time I wash the truck and all is well.

Thanks for the info guys.

I guess I can get it out in the rain after all. :)

-tday.

ViperTruck2933 said:
I can't imagine anyone taking this truck out of their garage in the rain. :p
but sometimes when you are out on the town and the weather man said no rain,sure as the world it will rain,so you just have to grit your teeth and deal with it.:)

ViperTruck2933 said:

I wish I had a garage that this truck fit in.... :eek:

brat said:
but sometimes when you are out on the town and the weather man said no rain,sure as the world it will rain,so you just have to grit your teeth and deal with it.:)
Yeah I know. I was just being a smart alec. :D :D

I got caught in the rain coming back from getting my CAI built. That sucked. Was bound to happen sooner or later I guess. :eek:

Doesn't hurt a thing, all is water tight under the hood. After picking it up in Indiana and driving it home, there was such a bad down pour in NM that I couldn't see all the hood. Cars were stopping right in the middle of the street. I had to get off the road just so I wouldn't get rear ended.

ViperTruck2933 said:

They still look cool in the rain

while all the rest of the muscle is hiding in the garage, this bad boy can still cruz

Just have to be a little smarter with the gas peddle :D

MikeNice said:

Same for me, though I have noticed some flaking at the front of the intake - I presume from water damage.

MYuGiOh Motorsports said:
They still look cool in the rain

while all the rest of the muscle is hiding in the garage, this bad boy can still cruz

Just have to be a little smarter with the gas peddle :D

You got the gas peddle thing right.:eek: :D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back