Hood Struts Failure

mauiSRT/10

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it seems if you park your SRT for too long the hood struts stop working. I drive my truck maybe one weekend a month and now the hood struts wont hold up the hood anymore. So where can I get some replacements? Are they rebuildable? Is stock the way to go or some aftermarket brand?

I have decided after 10 years I am gonna sell my beast. I just dont drive it enough anymore and feel somebody should be enjoying this hot rod. The hood struts are the only thing I need to fix before putting her up for sale.

Found some MONROE part number 901613 at rockauto for $33 shipped. Anybody use these before?

Last edited:
That is normal for them to just stop working. Don't think it's from the truck sitting just age. Found out the hard way about them in 1983. One day they work & the next Puh-Pow right in the noggin! Ouch! A small vice grip works wonders.

i got mine from RockAuto, one of our vendors here.:rock::rock:

there is a discount code they post in their thread.

if ya need them a bit quicker, any auto parts should have them

What are you gonna ask for your truck, how many miles?

O'Reily has a stock Stabilus for like $20

Every vehicle I've had with hood struts have gone out. Seem to only last 5 or 6 years that's it

Definitely not rebuildable. Never hurts to price the dealer first. My buddy's SRT4 rear strut tops were cheaper from Dodge.

Truck has 16k miles. They are hard to come by in Hawaii and the shipping costs are $1k to get one here so with that in mind I will probably ask high 20s and wait for the right buyer.

I will check O'Reilys as we have one here. I buy from rockauto all the time, they are great. Appreciate the input guys. Am taking the truck to a friends detail shop today. I'm too lazy to spend an entire weekend detailing it up. LOL I'll post some pics of the finished product. Nothing looks better than a shined up black truck!

I was just offered $18,800.00 trade in for mine with 76,000 miles but modded and a show winner, we'll see.

Looks like the time has come for new hood struts for me. If I open the hood all the way and hold it there for a couple seconds the struts will hold. Anywhere in between the hood will fall down if I let go. So I found the part number for stock ones (55276321AC) but holy shit they are expensive.
Online I found them for $31.74 each but with Shipping and Handling it's $124.60 for a pair. :mad:
Apparently they have to ship as hazardous materials.

Dealer wants $44.85 each discounted from $51.13

Aftermarket Choices are
$19.99 for "Mighty Lift" at Autozone
$29.99 for "Sachs" at Autozone
$24.99 for "Sachs Stabilus" at O Reillys

Guess it's time for a trip to O Reillys

Hood Struts

Try ebay plenty of them. Here is the ebay item#310662818607 about 40 bucks for a pair oem.

Alberta, odd. I clicked it once and it was correct, clicked it again and now get your higher prices ones. But yeah, they were not OEM.

Anybody ever get different ones that stock replacement?

I can only use one due to air box sealing to hood. Is there a way to look at specs on all props to get one strong enough to hold open hood by itself instead of a pair?

Hood Struts

There are OEM for sale on ebay for 46.00 a pair and plenty of aftermarket ones.

Well, as a follow up, I went with the $18 pair I listed above (now shown as $24 if you get the Amazon posting). The hood almost opens from unlatched now. Would barely stay open before, and only if on level or uphill ground. Glad you posted this mauiSRT or I would have not remembered to replace them.

Saw a thread where someone else used only one and they got the dimensions for stock then found manufacturer for same dimensions and twice the strength
Can't find it now

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back