How do I open my soft tonneau cover??

Soapy00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck I bought came with a soft tonneau, it's got poles going across, looks like it's weather proof front and back. I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to get this open. There seems to be a latch in the back left near the tailgate, it unlatches but it doesn't open...it's probably something so stupid.

Who's the tonneau made by?

I seriously wish I knew...I can't find any information on it. It's latched in the front and back. It fits under the wing and is completely flat with the bed, not like the other brands that come up a little bit.

Picture?

Not that I can figure it out, but I've seen a lot of them over the years and maybe someone else will recognize it.

Pictures:Top, bottom, where you think it latches will all be helpfull.

The soft ones are easy,, Just get a sharp knife and insert directly threw the top,, it will open right up.. lol...

Is it the one from TheViperStore.com? There's one on their site that fits around the wing, I dunno if it's soft though.

Any soft top cover should roll back not open upwards. At least all the ones I've dealt with

Mine is a soft cover that fits under the wing. At each back corner there is a 6 inch strap. You pull on the strap and a small piece slides outward (towards the edge of truck bed). Once you pull the strap on both sides, you can flip the edge up and start rolling the cover up like a carpet. You have to take the wing off to do this. I don't know if yours is just like mine but here are some pictures.

Smoke

DSCF0326.jpg

DSCF0328.jpg

DSCF0325a.jpg

Pull strap to the right then flip the cover towards the cab. It rolls up

Here is a pic of the straps. I was wrong. They slide inward (toward the middle of the truck).

DSCF2048.jpg

DSCF2047.jpg

DSCF2049.jpg

I pretty sure you have to take the wing off first to open the tonneau. Its supposed to roll from rear to front. The wing is holding it down.. I have an Access Vanish on mine.. It sets under the wing similar to yours.. With the wing on it can't be opened. Honestly as tall as your tonneau is I'm suprised it fits under the wing at all. Never the less, take the wing off and I bet it will open right up..

Last edited:
I pretty sure you have to take the wing off first to open the tonneau. Its supposed to roll from rear to front. The wing is holding it down.. I have an Access Vanish on mine.. It sets under the wing similar to yours.. With the wing on it can't be opened. Honestly as tall as your tonneau is I'm suprised it fits under the wing at all. Never the less, take the wing off and I bet it will open right up..

Well it doesn't even lift, I'll have to take a look at it later to see if maybe I'm just lifting it the wrong way. It's a lot lower of a profile than the post a few posts ago though, so I'm wondering if it might fit without taking the wing off.

I have to take the wing off to roll the cover up. I read this on the link.

RELEASE
Drop tailgate and simply press the Quick Lever to instantly release the tail rail.

ROLL
Tarp and bows easily roll-up together in one easy step.

Well it doesn't even lift, I'll have to take a look at it later to see if maybe I'm just lifting it the wrong way. It's a lot lower of a profile than the post a few posts ago though, so I'm wondering if it might fit without taking the wing off.

My Vanish tonneau only sets up maybe 1/2 inch taller than the bed rails. Its very low profile and doesn't touch the wing at all... It has a release lever at the tail end of it that once pulled it pops up and is able to be rolled, BUT only if the wing is off, it wont really budge with the wing on. It wasn't designed to work with the wing. Most covers aren't. Works great with the wing off though, as it should. Sounds silly I know. I very rarely haul anything with my truck though, so being able to use the entire bed wasn't a concern to me. I imagine who ever put that tonneau on was in the same mind as me and wasn't worried about it.. I actually bought a cheap ratchet and socket and extension to keep in the glove box just to fit the wing so I can pop it off in a hurry if I need to.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back