How important is mileage when considering...

Lottotruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How important is mileage when considering a purchase of one of these beasts? One popped up for sale at a dealer about 50 miles from here, but it's got 55k miles on it. I don't know if it's worth the drive because it has all those miles. :dontknow:

Originally, I was thinking of keeping my eyes out for a low mileage QC, but I don't know if that is really that important (on the average). I realize that there are alot of other considerations that go along with the mileage. But assuming those are mostly equal, would it be more beneficial to purchase a lower mileage truck?

Price is a major consideration, since from a practicality point of view I could "get by" with a Hemi. Obviously, a miled up truck will have more opportunity for a discount (and potential problems I'm thinking).

My fear is that the trucks are mostly "dogged". The higher mileage ones got "dogged" and driven.:burnout: I don't have a very long commute...8 miles or so, but, I'll be starting a part-time real estate career in the next 30 days. I'm sure that number could double or triple. Still won't be bad. Plus, I'm keeping the Mustang.

It seems that I'll wind up driving, flying or whatever many miles to find a low mileage keeper in my price range. So, I have to keep that in mind while I'm shopping. I'm mostly looking up and down the East Coast. Maybe I'll be able to throw it on the Auto Train for a nice relaxing trip back to Florida! Ya know, keep the miles off of it!!:p

Seems like they either last 20-30k miles and go BOOM, or last 100k miles. :dontknow: I wouldn't worry about the miles too much, really. :eek:

I keep reading about piston failures on this site...kinda freaks me out!:eek: But, I guess if you are putting alot of miles on it, then it's more of a utility truck than a smoke 'em up on weekend kinda truck with really low miles (and new tires)!:burnout:

How do the tires look? That could be a sign of how the truck was treated. If the trucks been modded quite a bit the auto trannies have a hard time handling the power. If there's any slipping...stuff like that it could also be a sign of bad things.

Low mileage trucks are not hard to find...as long as price is comparably low compared to lower mileage trucks then 55K is not that much..

mine was still perfect when I sold it with over 50,000 miles on it. And I routinely used a 175 shot of NOS. BUt I know of other people who have had failures at a much earlier mileage.

~mike~

Theres a 05 red qc perfect condition at carmax 27,000 miles for 23,000 and they finance................

Well,I'm sitting here with a QC with almost 69K,it hasn't been dogged,just driven and I've had no major problems at all !!! Typical Oil line leaks,and a Valve Body change,and that's it !!! :rock: :rock: :rock: I drive it every day,and when we go on extended trips,it's the vehicle of choice (mine that is)!!!! Like everyone says,just keep your eyes out,there are enough of them out there for sale,and when the right one comes around,you'll know it !!!:rock: :rock:

lightningKILLER said:
check autotrader. I saw a 2006 SRT-10 Black on Black rims Quad Cab. Only 7k miles. I think they wanted 24k. CHEAP. check within 300 miles of 20640.

LINK. She's pretty, and that is a AWESOME PRICE!

Yeah, I called on that truck earlier today. :call2: Here's the deal: It was a total loss by the insurance company due to theft. Supposedly, there was nothing wrong with it (then why did it get "totalled"?:dontknow: ) exceot if you look close, you'll notice there is NO foglights. And NO it's not the angle of the pictures, they are not there!:confused: Can you say front end collision...
Oh, he also told me it's in great shape...except for the few scratches it has. I asked him to fax me a copy of the Carfax report. He said "I'm not a Carfax dealer so I can't send it to you." WTF? Stick it in the fax machine and send it to me if you want a sale. Nope, can't do that. You can come up here and read it! RIGHT!:hmmmm2:

mauiSRT/10 said:
Dude, wait for one with lower miles. They come up all the time.

patrick

Wazzzzup, Dude!:rock: I tend to agree with you!:top: I wanted some feedback from the forum in case I find one with a little more miles...:) :driver:

Yeah, I called on that truck earlier today. Here's the deal: It was a total loss by the insurance company due to theft. Supposedly, there was nothing wrong with it (then why did it get "totalled"? ) exceot if you look close, you'll notice there is NO foglights. And NO it's not the angle of the pictures, they are not there! Can you say front end collision...
Oh, he also told me it's in great shape...except for the few scratches it has. I asked him to fax me a copy of the Carfax report. He said "I'm not a Carfax dealer so I can't send it to you." WTF? Stick it in the fax machine and send it to me if you want a sale. Nope, can't do that. You can come up here and read it! RIGHT!

I guess a deal like that is TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE. Good looking out!

I waited around and found one for $28k with 8300 miles. Original everything. Didn't look like it had been thrashed. No scrapes on the chin, no rubber crumbs in the wheel wells. Documented maintenence at the dealer. They can be found!

There's no reason to buy one with 55k on it.....

It's a buyer's market........ Profoundly so....

Don't be impatient or so immature that you gotta have it NOW....

Find one with F/I, forged internals and single digit mileage...... Offer them 23k for it....... or something ridiculously low.... You may be surprised... But there's not one reason in HELL to buy a high mileage Viper Truck..... NONE...!

Don't be a schmuck.......... and good luck.

D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back