How Much is To Much?

Tooloe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like the title says i'm down to the last parts of my build i just ordered my cam. and i am talking with my nitrous guy. With forged pistons and rods what would you say a safe number to spray would be? i'm thinking some where in the 200 range not much over but nothing less really

Last edited:
Disclaimer: I am not an expert. :p

However, I would think that you would be safe up to maybe a 300 shot (properly tuned of course) with your mods. I think there are a few on here running large N2O shots (NOWWHAT comes to mind). I'm sure they will chime in...

Please understand that Nowhats engine was specifically designed for spraying under boost and cost 20K alone...

jrgnd said:
Please understand that Nowhats engine was specifically designed for spraying under boost and cost 20K alone...

Understood and please understand my motor is built for spray! lol:rock: or can handle spray.. i'm just looking for a round about idea of what everyones running thats forged

For an educated guess I would have to ask a few questions first before I could try to understand how much of a shot you could take.

What is your compression ratio of your build? What kind of internals are you running? What kind of cam and heads you running? What kind of Nitrous system do you want to run? What kind of power adder other than Nitrous are you going to run if any? Is your fuel system and injectors upgraded? What about your plugs.........do you have 2 step colder plugs? Are you thinking race gas or pump gas? Are your forged pistons coated for N20? Do you have billet mains? Has your transmission been built?

There are so many more questions that would need to be asked in addition to those listed above to get an educated guess. From experience on a stock QC with frequent band adjustment will handle a 150 shot with race gas and a stage2 flash. The zex kit with a 175 shot resulted in this run:

Mikes world record run included a 350 shot of N20 which resulted in this:

i'm runnign around an 11.0 compression ratio JE Forged pistons and callie Forged rods i'm planing on running a Direct injection Wet kit the pistons are coated, fuel system is stock but will be running a small indapendent fuel system for the kit with race gas in it. no billet mains and bu the time the motor is broke in yes i will have a new clutch in the truck.. does this help? o edit- also running a port matched motor with port and polished heads that are flowing a few point over stock with the 264 cam from compcams

I'm interested too, tooloe, how much was your build if you don't mind me asking.

hehehe i'm not done yet so far i'v reworked every thing but the billetmains and i'm thinking about going ahead and doing that so far a little over 10grand it would be alot less if they didn't have to repair the big hole in my block and get it inspected that alone costed 2500 bucks... if i would have just taken the motor to them with no damage they could do it for 7 to 8500 my parts alone were 5 grand so the rest is labor lol in fixing the damn thing..and once the motors ou your like well i could do this and i can do that.. and its just a water fallo effect lol

Last edited:
505'sFastestViper. said:
i would esily think you could spray a 500 shot no [problem..............but can you handle it is the question

I'm not sure if you are being serious but I do agree, as long as you set it up the right way. I'm preaching about something I barely know about but have been researching a lot lately, but to do it right, I'd say get a AEM Eugo Wideband, Dyno tune it, get a progressive controller so it doesn't hit as hard, etc.

O you can bet you ass it'll be tuned the motor will be put in the truck ran for 30 min at an idle and loaded on a trailer to ART to have it tuned and then once the breakin is over with it'll be re tuned for spray and the Max i can squeeze out of it for the best street machine i can have. and i'v already got the progressive controler and a window switch :) i was thinking a safe 250 or 300 shot could be done on my set up...and as for a 500 shot good god theres no way in hell id try to handle that

If I'm not mistaken the RC Tranny will take about 700 RWHP before you have problems. Have you done anything with the tranny at all? Also is your block going to be stress relieved?

SrtBrad said:
Have you done anything with the tranny at all? Also is your block going to be stress relieved?

nothing to the tranny yet focused on the motor right now lol...and about the stress relieved i rember my builder saying something about it but don't know if it is or not....good question

a 96-99 viper v10 can handle a 300 shot no problem. you could run a 10# roe with a 100 shot too. so i would think you could run anywhere from300-500 easily. a 300 shot should give you +300rwhp & +400rwtq...

transmisiion...boom goes the dynamite, if you powershift 4th with all that spray it will explode.

multi stage 300!

BurntRubber said:
transmisiion...boom goes the dynamite, if you powershift 4th with all that spray it will explode.

multi stage 300![/QUOTE]

ya know i like the way you think!:rock:

I dunno much about em either but lemme add my 2 cents anyway :p

how much is too much? from what has been stated here so far, your engine isn't where the too much equation is... it's your whole drivetrain... your tranny... your rear end.... engine is just part of the battle, so get it all figured out or you won't even be able to use what you've got.... but you probably already know all this..

You said you haven't messed with the tranny yet... well, if your objective is to go very fast in a straight line maybe you drop a powerglide racing tranny in there :D yummy

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back