How much should asphalt run?

seth

Has Left the Room - Banned from VTCOA!
Reaction score
I just bought another 8 acres and I want to put in a paved go cart track. Is there a standard fee per foot that is used for costing? I am having a satellite image of Spa used for the blueprint.

I have heard that prices have collapsed in the last few months because of oil. I am guessing I will need 2500 lineal feet.

seth said:
I have heard that prices have collapsed in the last few months because of oil. I am guessing I will need 2500 lineal feet.

are you building a dragstip or oval or road coarse? a lineal foot is measured in a straight line...hard to do with turns....

From best I can tell I would need 84 tons. It looks like a ton covers 10 square yards. All up including concrete I am guessing 90 bucks a ton (50 asphalt/ 40 concrete). Does that sound right

seth said:

At 10' wide x 2500' long, concrete,asphalt, labor, you will be lucky to get it done
for under $50,000

Oh, concrete covers 81 sq Ft @ 4" nominal thickness( common for flat work), that is 1 yard ( 1 yard is 27 cu ft)

Last edited:
My budget is 75k for the track. Since it is AG-1 zoning I am checking with the county, but I am pretty sure that no zoning will be required.

Asphalt goes by the ton and yes the prices this year where nuts, $100 bucks a ton I think but check in your area just call the plant and they will tell you your cost/ton. with oil prices dropping since we are seasonal out here the prices dont come out until end of feb and march. I do know that there is a national standard but it does very by the region. dont call the paveing companies call the plant direct because there is no discounts for business and personal just c.o.d any questions let me know.

Marc T said:
If you want to do it right it will be way more than that!

Soil prep/Compaction, probably should bring in some lime rock!

Need to have some drainage figured into it.

Here is some good information, it may be overkill for your application but alot of good info!
http://books.google.com/books?id=ym...a=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result#PPP1,M1

I was just gettin' ready to chime in on this. More to it than just laying asphalt. Site prep, utilities, landscape/finishes, prep materials, etc. will eat up the budget quickly.

FastRam said:
I was just gettin' ready to chime in on this. More to it than just laying asphalt. Site prep, utilities, landscape/finishes, prep materials, etc. will eat up the budget quickly.
Hes right you cant just put asphalt down anywhere like concrete. unless you do it your self you looking at an easy 100k. but if you do it right turn it into a club and make your money back as long as it is not open to the public you wont have to get insurance. so it is really you will get what you pay for with paving companies. if they bid very low then becareful but most of the time they will be pretty close.

but then again unlike chicago where everyone is unioin expect the ones who hire illegals so cost sould be alot lower on labor out by you. because laborers out here make 38/hr so you figure your gonna pay close to 100/hr per laborer also the operator. so just call around and get bids, the asphalt is cheap, its all the other shit that kills you.

Seth I am in the construction industry. We do asphalt paving all the time. To start off, you really need to do many things in preparation. First, all the topsoil must be stripped. The area must be shot witha transit, and graded to what you want to do. Then RCA (recycled concrete aggregate) must be put down (6") usually, rolled and compacted. Then you can either go with a base/ top or just top asphalt, usually a minimun of 2". Asphalt is purchased by the ton. But to accurately figure it, the total sqft is needed and the existing conditions must be established. You cannot just put asphalt on the ground. There may be a patch of clay, soft spots that need to be stablized, sandy conditions. You really need to have a contractor look at it to determine what prep work needs to be done.

Being in VA, you can encounter all types of subbase issues. My advice is to have a couple of paving contractors look at it and let me know what the proposals say. I'll help you out from there.

Good luck

I would suggest you do a dirt track and buy midgets or dwarf cars instead of carts. It will save you big bucks and it will still be a blast. Ongoing maintenance will be the big cost with a dirt track so it might not save you much money in a 5 year span. I am impressed with your desire to do this. This is something I would love to do but the cost is insane.

TREKER said:
Seth I am in the construction industry. We do asphalt paving all the time. To start off, you really need to do many things in preparation. First, all the topsoil must be stripped. The area must be shot witha transit, and graded to what you want to do. Then RCA (recycled concrete aggregate) must be put down (6") usually, rolled and compacted. Then you can either go with a base/ top or just top asphalt, usually a minimun of 2". Asphalt is purchased by the ton. But to accurately figure it, the total sqft is needed and the existing conditions must be established. You cannot just put asphalt on the ground. There may be a patch of clay, soft spots that need to be stablized, sandy conditions. You really need to have a contractor look at it to determine what prep work needs to be done.

Being in VA, you can encounter all types of subbase issues. My advice is to have a couple of paving contractors look at it and let me know what the proposals say. I'll help you out from there.

Good luck

Thanks. I quite honestly have no idea what it takes to build, just have the checkbook. I won't have to worry about lighting or landscaping or electrical of any kind, because literally this is just a personal track for me and the kids. I could with no cost build one hell of a bmx/off road track, but I figure having a personal race track would be wicked cool.

The lot already has an electrical drop and the builder of my house said he will be a four wall three bay carriage house for 25k. It wouldn't have anything pretty in the inside, but would be ready to be a perfect shop for the track.

seth said:
Thanks. I quite honestly have no idea what it takes to build, just have the checkbook. I won't have to worry about lighting or landscaping or electrical of any kind, because literally this is just a personal track for me and the kids. I could with no cost build one hell of a bmx/off road track, but I figure having a personal race track would be wicked cool.

The lot already has an electrical drop and the builder of my house said he will be a four wall three bay carriage house for 25k. It wouldn't have anything pretty in the inside, but would be ready to be a perfect shop for the track.

Save ya money and just rent summit raceway when ya want to play;)

google it, its close to you

Stinker said:
Save ya money and just rent summit raceway when ya want to play;)

google it, its close to you

I have been there a bunch. You just have to admit it would be really, really cool to have your own race track. I also figure if i do something 10' wide I could put a caterham on it.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back