HP/Torque estimate on mods???

Ronin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done some research myself on the topic, but I was interested in getting some HP/torque estimates on the mods I have planned. I'm not solid on the choice of intake or if I'm going to keep the stock mid pipes, gut the cats, go with high flow cats or get rid of them all together but this is what I'm looking at doing...

('05 QC)

Intake: K&N drop-in or JMB CAI
170 degree thermostat
Bassani short tube headers
Bassani cat-back exhaust
Stock mid pipes/gutted stock mid pipes/high flow cats/JMB mid pipes
SCT 93 Octane tune (Marty/KRC)

I plan on dynoing every step of the way when I get it done, just curious is all.

Thanks in advance...

I'd go with the high flow cats. Catless is only 4-5 hp gain over high flows. Not worth the drone and hassle if you have inspections, IMO. Have some Jersey dumps installed in front of the cats for racing.

I've been really debating what to do with the cats. They're mandatory here. I currently have an almost 2 year inspection tag so I wouldn't need to worry about it for at least that long if I yank 'em out, but swapping the stock midpipes back in would likely be a nice pain in the azz...

Gutting the stockers and using sims is an idea, but I think it might create a drone issue.

I've definitely been leaning towards the JMB midpipes; throwing them on with the high flow cats is definitely a good idea.

Thanks...

. . . Swapping the mids only takes an hour. I just had to do this. Just be sure, if you get a set of mids that they're flanged on both ends so swapping them will be a piece of cake.

I'm guessing here, but you'll probably free up 30 or 40 (peak) HP. Hard to say really. Every single truck is different. :eek: :)

i would not let marty do my tune if i were you ,,lots of bad tunes come from there,,go with roe or B&G,,,just my two cents worth ;)

DC performance does a nice tune also,ups the rpm's and shut of the torque managment ,gives you about 60ft pounds more torque

('05 QC)

Intake: K&N drop-in or JMB CAI--------0 hp on the dyno, looks and sounds great!
170 degree thermostat----------------Goes to the tuners hp increase
Bassani short tube headers-------------?
Bassani cat-back exhaust--------------?
Stock mid pipes/gutted stock mid pipes/high flow cats/JMB mid pipes-----25 hp
SCT 93 Octane tune (Marty/KRC)-------------60hp

I plan on dynoing every step of the way when I get it done, just curious is all.

Thanks in advance...[/QUOTE]

You ought to dyno at 460-475 corrected. I made 450 with out being cattles or having headers

Last edited:
Ironhead said:
i would not let marty do my tune if i were you ,,lots of bad tunes come from there,,go with roe or B&G,,,just my two cents worth ;)

James he fly's all over the country tuning engines. Can't be that bad..............

His tune didn't fail, a piston did, a piston we all knew would fail.

bigike said:
James he fly's all over the country tuning engines. Can't be that bad..............

His tune didn't fail, a piston did, a piston we all knew would fail.

ike call allen sameuls service manager and ask them about the dodge durango he dropped off and just left there ,,he took over 20000 thou off a guy from ohio to tt his new ride blew the motor then dropped it off there and said there was a knock sensor out ,,then never came to get it ,,,dealer had to do a title search to find out who owned it and call him to tell him his motor was trashed ,,:congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

I don't know what the gains will be, but as others have stated, I can vouch for just a filter/quality tune and cat-back exhaust.

I've had my truck two weeks, and with these three mods, it is a completely different truck. Right now the weather is nice down here in Texas, but I would be surprised if my big QC didn't run low-13s on stock tires.

I got a drop-in filter from Roe (he claims it does just as a well as a pretty CAI), SCT tune from Roe (shifts right at 5800-5900 now, not to mention the better 93 oct tune and removing TQ mgmt), and just installed a Magnaflow cat-back that I also bought from him. It's a night and day difference in the truck!

I have a 170^ t-stat to install, and that will certainly help, especially once temps get back up to normal around here...we don't have much of a winter. After that I'm done as far as power performance mods, unless the motor blows (with only 6300 miles, I hope it doesn't as long as I keep the truck).

Ironhead said:

I hear ya...

My SCT is a re-cycled special from a VTCOA member that sold it to me, so the tunes came on it.

I'm gonna look @ the A/F ratios real hard when we dyno, and I'm more than open to getting with Roe for a retune.

Intake: K&N drop-in or JMB CAI - 5rwhp

170 degree thermostat - some minor potential real world gain but negligable.

Bassani short tube headers - 15-20rwhp 10-15ft lbs

Bassani cat-back exhaust - 10-15rwhp 10-15ft lbs

mid pipes/high flow cats/JMB mid pipes -20-25rwhp - 25-30ftlbs

SCT 93 Octane tune (Marty/KRC) - Hard to say..this will be the most significant mod for a QC. Removing torque mgnt, shift points and tune. Most of the gain is in the 3000-5000 rpms.

These are all good mods ;)

bigike said:
I read the whole thing a while ago.........it was f'd up

Huh?

Anyway...I was hoping to net a no-shit 40-50 RWHP and RWTQ...anything more than that is bitchin', less and I'll be pissed...

Ronin said:
Huh?

Anyway...I was hoping to net a no-shit 40-50 RWHP and RWTQ...anything more than that is bitchin', less and I'll be pissed...

Do all of the above mods with a good tune and you should be happy ;)

mmmmtorque said:
Do all of the above mods with a good tune and you should be happy ;)

Ditto. IMO, DC Performance is a top notch outfit. They stand by their work and have been working on vipertrucks from day one! Roe is also another trusted tuner/vendor.

Catless mids are kinda loud and droney. Since you do have inspections, I would just opt for some high flows.

patrick

mauiSRT/10 said:
Ditto. IMO, DC Performance is a top notch outfit. They stand by their work and have been working on vipertrucks from day one! Roe is also another trusted tuner/vendor.

Catless mids are kinda loud and droney. Since you do have inspections, I would just opt for some high flows.

patrick

Patrick is spot as as usual ;) All highflow cat trucks (including my own) sound better than catless set ups...IMO.

In addition, I would bet you will gain more torque by having the HF cats vs catless.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back